My reason for buying a Status

Last updated on 7 years ago
W
WarrenMc
Posted 7 years ago
Hello all, checking in here from Denton, Texas area.

I placed my order for an S-2 5-String about 2 weeks ago and, well, this was a very special moment for me. I started playing when I was 12. My dad was a bass player and when I brought up wanting to learn how to play, he took me under his wing. I was in band in High School (French Horn) and took music theory to expand my knowledge, but for how to play the bass his instruction was the only "lessons" I've ever had. growing up my brother and I were surrounded with the music of our parents', so the typical classic rock of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. But my father was also a MASSIVE Level 42 fan.

One year, for his birthday, I bought him the 'Live at Wembley' DVD and after watching it god know how many times, he used to plug his headphones into the DVD player and just listen to it. No picture on the TV, just with his eyes closed listening to Mark's technique and how he structured his bass lines. Needless to say, thanks to that DVD, my father and I took notice of Mark's stunning King Bass. We were so intrigued by this headless, LED laden work of art that we just had to find out what it was. That's how we found Status.

For years, he and I would dream of one day owning one of Rob's beautiful works of art. We would scour recordings to hear which pickups and tone woods we would get, and then compare notes to plan out our dream bass. It was a hobby and pastime we did for the better half of a decade, just dreaming and wishing.

In march of 2013 my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He underwent chemo-therapy for a 6 month regime, then radiation therapy for 3 more months. When neither of those managed to dispatch with it, it was another round of chemo, and so on. On the last day of July, in 2014, my dad lost his battle with cancer. He was 59.

He had a lot of dreams and aspirations in life, but being born into a very modest-income household, he had to place things like his love of playing on the "back-burner" to pay the bills. Then he and my mom had my brother and I, and while due to his tireless hard work, our family was now comfortably middle class, he still kept pushing with work to supply my brother and I a college education without having to start life in-debt like he did. Retirement was when he would finally get to explore all his dreams in life. He would get that Status he wanted. He would relax and enjoy what he worked so hard his whole life to achieve. He put his dreams on hold to raise me, and after doing so much for me, he never got the chance to revisit those dreams. I know it may be silly, because as much as we love playing and love music, it is only a thing after all. An item to buy and have. But I already love the bass that Rob is building me, and I haven't even seen it yet. It will be my most cherished possession because, to me, it's more than a bass. It's more than "just a thing". It is the realization and obtainment of a dream that my dad and I shared. And while he's not here anymore, I view this as being as much his bass as it will be mine.
2007 Carvin Icon 5
2007 Spector Legend 4
(soon to be) 2017 Status S-2 5-String
TC Electronic RH750
TC Electronic RS210
TC Electronic RS212
X
Xeins
Posted 7 years ago
Hi WarrenMc

That's a "Beatifull" story. My sorry for your Father

Please keep posting pictures of your bass so we never forget it
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 7 years ago
Welcome to our Club and thank you for sharing this story, sad but beautiful at the same time. Enjoy the process of a new build, which will be particularly emotional in your case.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 7 years ago
You will not be disappointed Warren. As you say it is not just a thing, irt has so much sentimental value to it already. That will only make it better. What are the specifications on it?
W
WarrenMc
Posted 7 years ago
Thank you all, for the kind words. I will definitely be posting pictures when the time comes. Like a new parent, I'll be showing pictures of this bass to everyone. Even people who don't care!

My specs are: Right handed, headed, S-2, exposed neck-thru, black hardware, Cocobolo top, Tri-color front and white side LEDs
2007 Carvin Icon 5
2007 Spector Legend 4
(soon to be) 2017 Status S-2 5-String
TC Electronic RH750
TC Electronic RS210
TC Electronic RS212
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 7 years ago
Very nice! I have black hardware on mine, Cocobolo is lovely. You wait, you will be stunned!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator