New Status Fan

Last updated on 8 years ago
Kenneth WilsonKenneth Wilson
Posted 8 years ago
Hey Status fans,

My name is Kenneth Wilson (if that weren't obvious already) and I'm the bassist/producer for a little progressive rock band out of New Orleans called Abigail's Ghost. We recently released our 3rd full length album, Black Plastic Sun, which got me seriously thinking about FINALLY making the leap to a new bass after using my primary instrument, a custom Melancon 5 string, for almost 16 years. I noticed that my intonation across the fretboard was really starting to bother me a bit and I wanted something with a bit more mid range, clarity in the low end, and enough separation to represent the clean chordal and distorted lines that make up the majority of our arrangements. They've grown in scope and complexity and so have my instrument needs.

I started looking into all the best bass guitars I could get a my hands on and I ended up falling in love with a Status Graphite Chris Wolstenholme model, so here I am about to get my own custom version trying to decide on the seemingly infinite options. :o

Anyway...I've been lurking on the forums trying to get ideas for my own Status (and hopefully more in the future) and decided to join up and say "hello".

Peace,
KW
Edited by Kenneth Wilson on 09-10-2015 12:01, 8 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 8 years ago
Hello Kenneth and welcome !
New Orleans brings back a lot of good memories ... :)
Enjoy the forums and don't hesitate to ask question !
Welcome,
Andre
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 8 years ago
Welcome Kenneth. It took me 20 years before I had the funds to buy my first Status and I have never been happier. Rob, Dawn and the team make a fantastic product and are so helpful. I was able to pick mine up in person, to have a chat with Rob and take a look at some of the creations he was making for some other lucky customers. If you get the opportunity, I would recommend it, though obviously New Orleans is a little further from Colchester than I am being based in the UK Shock). Welcome
Posted 8 years ago
I'd really like to get out to the shop in Colchester one day, but I would probably just pester Rob about all the various shades of purple he could paint my bass. I've honestly never really been this into an instrument before this Status. I've always concentrated more on being a player than what I was playing, but I can see why Status have a cult following of sorts.

Anyway, that Chris Wolstenholme model with the slightly different spaced pickups and the headstock will suit me just fine. Likely with a chameleon burst finish, though I haven't quite decided on that yet. All I know is that I want something purple and the woven chrome might be a bit too "loud" for me.

I, of course, play progressive rock music so it requires a bass that can cut through, take distortion well, and never lose note integrity even in a dropped tuning.

I don't know much about the various pickup and fretboard options, but the soapbar equipped beast I tried was great.
Posted 8 years ago
So far, my options are:

1. CW Signature Model
2. Chameleon burst finish w/ satin chameleon burst neck and glossy everything else
3. Blue LEDs w/ custom etching (undecided) at 12th or 13th fret (to be cheeky)
4. Hipshot tuner
5. Setup for dropped C tuning (which is why I'll probably buy another one for standard)
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Welcome on board Keneth. The addiction has sucked you in there is no escape. None whatsoever.

Some interesting spec there. Don't forget you can have the pickups placed wherever you want them.

Unfortunately for everyone the best bass in the Universe was delivered to me recently. But you might get the next best. :D
Posted 8 years ago
I liked the pickup placement. I generally prefer a warmer, wider sound and I play with my fingers, though not nearly as low as Chris would.

I am interested in the tonal differences between the soapbar bridge and the MM style bridge pickup. Any advice on that?

Also, what bass did you get, Bassbus?

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a violet headless S2 Classic at some point.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago

Kenneth Wilson wrote:

Also, what bass did you get, Bassbus?

A beautiful Series 3 with the bridge pickup moved to 20mm from the bridge.

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/vie...post_53547
Posted 8 years ago
I think the bridge pickup placement further away from the bridge is ideal. I tend to find the low end a bit lacking with pickups close to the bridge. If I need a bit more twang I'd dial it in with the EQ.

That's a great looking bass, by the way. What prompted you to move the bridge pickup?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 8 years ago
Same reason as you really. It just fattens the tone a bit. I like the tone from two pickups so don't need to move it as much as Mr. W.
Posted 8 years ago
I tought the Wolstenholme was 20mm too?

At any rate, it sounds fat and aggressive with the mid boost giving it that twang normally associated with playing by the bridge if needed. It's not quite the same, but it worked for me when I heard it. Unfortunately, being all the way in New Orleans it's not easy for me to just go and try out several Statii to see what I prefer. Sound clips, this forum, and YouTube videos for me ;)
Posted 8 years ago
BTW, my band (Abigail's Ghost) is in the new issue of Prog magazine (the one with Peter Gabriel). Our song "Sliver" is on the Sample CD that comes with the mag. Sadly, there is no Status bass on that track, but in the future it's going to be all Status. ;)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator