Half-Wound

Last updated on 9 years ago
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 9 years ago
Fits in with NIC's question but:

Can anyone who uses Hotwire Half-Wounds quantify if they stay fresh longer than Rounds? I realise they will not last as long as Flats -- But are they halfway on string life as well as tone/feel?

Thanks Brendan
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
How long is a piece of string?

As always it depends on the amount of use they get. I have a set on my S2 which came with the bass six years ago. For me they still have a great tone and have had quite a lot of use.

Judge for yourself.
[movie=youtube]http://youtu.be/8UnhKyVahF4[/movie]

http://youtu.be/8UnhKyVahF4
Edited by bassbus on 06-01-2015 09:35, 9 years ago
N
Nic
Posted 9 years ago
Those strings are 6 years old?!
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 9 years ago
Wow yeah that is a long piece of string! If they last a year I will be very happy. I change rounds every month! I am inflickted with Rory Gallagher type sweat!!!

B
Sonic GrooveSonic Groove
Posted 9 years ago
P.S I can't see the Video!?

B

Update I copied the code and watched on youtube, What a great comparison thanks for that Bassbus
Edited by Sonic Groove on 06-01-2015 03:19, 9 years ago
pslhpslh
Posted 9 years ago
I have also been using the same set of Hotwire half-wounds on my Manne Acustibass fretless for years; I must say I am still very happy with the sound.

I used to use Hotwire Half-Wounds also on a MIJ Fender Jazz fretless, I changed them for round-wounds but only because I wanted a more 'gutsy' tone not because the strings were 'dead'.

I also cannot see the video.

Cheers,
Paul
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Clickable link added to OP for those who cannot see it.
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 9 years ago
Nice comparison Graham, and they each sounded great.

My 90' Wal fretless wears 20 year old Thomastik's flats, and there has been no reason to change them.

I personally don't like roundwounds on a fretless, though I guess it worked for for Mr. Pastorius, on a dead old Fender.
N
Nic
Posted 9 years ago
@Bassbus, if you don't mind me asking, how old are the roundwounds in your video?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
The rounds are quite new, just on last year. I find rounds give too sharp an attack to the tone for me. Flats do sound good on a phenolic board though. Seems to bring out a slightly clearer tone in them. All IMHO of course.
N
Nic
Posted 9 years ago
I'm listening to your video again and again now... what do you mean by clearer? I think there's definitely more of the fundamental, so in a mix I'm guessing it'll come through clearer. I really like the growl the rounds make near the low E though!

Anyway... so these rounds have been on this bass for about a year? It sounds like there's a surprising amount of bite for something that old.
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago

Nic wrote:
I'm listening to your video again and again now... what do you mean by clearer? I think there's definitely more of the fundamental, so in a mix I'm guessing it'll come through clearer.

That about sums it up.

Rounds were not on for the whole year, just a bit. A certain Overwater got in the way so I thought I would try rounds on it. They weren't played a huge amount so plenty of life in them. Went back to halfs on the S2 and Overwater and much better on both basses.
N
Nic
Posted 9 years ago

Bassbus wrote:

Nic wrote:
I'm listening to your video again and again now... what do you mean by clearer? I think there's definitely more of the fundamental, so in a mix I'm guessing it'll come through clearer.

That about sums it up.

Rounds were not on for the whole year, just a bit. A certain Overwater got in the way so I thought I would try rounds on it. They weren't played a huge amount so plenty of life in them. Went back to halfs on the S2 and Overwater and much better on both basses.

I see... if you don't mind me asking for advice, would you recommend the half rounds for a more heavy rock approach? I don't always need the bite, and from your video I noticed the almost new rounds didn't have that much more attack than your 6 year old half rounds. Is this an accurate reflection of the difference between the two sets of strings?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
I usually play with most of the treble rolled off which would account for the lack of bite on the rounds.

As for heavy rock, I'm not sure to be honest. I have quite a light touch to my playing and I play jazz orientated music so I can't really speak for rock. I haven't tried them on a fretted instrument either.
N
Nic
Posted 9 years ago

Bassbus wrote:
I usually play with most of the treble rolled off which would account for the lack of bite on the rounds.

As for heavy rock, I'm not sure to be honest. I have quite a light touch to my playing and I play jazz orientated music so I can't really speak for rock. I haven't tried them on a fretted instrument either.

Yeah, from your recording, I guessed you were very jazz oriented. That's okay then! I use a fretless also, but I'm in favour of the bright roundwound-on-fretless tone. I know a lot of people say it chews up the fingerboard, but I figure fingerboards are for playing and I'll need to resurface eventually anyway.

No wonder your video didn't show a very dramatic difference between the rounds and half rounds... would it have been significantly more if you didn't roll off the treble?
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago

Nic wrote:
...would it have been significantly more if you didn't roll off the treble?

Yes.
MertonMerton
Posted 9 years ago
Half wound Hotwires are my Go-To string. Superb for rock IMO, great finger style, picked, slapped (not that I am any good at slapping...). Brilliant strings, normally last around a year with a few gigs a month :)
www.bitd.co.uk
merton.bitd.co.uk
Retroactive J / Ashdown amplification and BarefacedBass cabs
N
Nic
Posted 9 years ago
I see... thank you so much for taking the time to give me all that information!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Naebothalike, as they say where I come from.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator