Mesa boogie walk about

Last updated on 10 years ago
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
Is any one out there using the mesa walkabout combo, the 300w 15" version?
Or the 12".....
Just after some first hand opinions........
D
DrDAV
Posted 10 years ago
Yes, I have used both versions over the years and am currently using the 112 Walkabout with the 8ohm internal speaker.
This is my favorite amp. It has the versatilty with the removable head, which I've used it with a large number of cabs (8x10, 4x12, 6x10, 4x10, 2x12)
The Scout cab puts out good lowend in small venues, I add a cab for larger rooms. The head has the ability to run at a 2ohm load also. Mesa states it is set at 4ohm's but 2ohms is still rated. I use a 4ohm ext cab with the combo, so the head is running at 2.67ohms and I've never had a problem with it.
The only con to walkabout is that it can be under powered for large/outdoor gigs and the price is high. I use an Aguilar DB751 for large rooms.
The tone of this amp is its best part, simple yet versatile. You can get dirt if you want it, the mids are FAT, without the over pillowy lowend. Variable DI send is nice if you use FOH.
Worth every penny in my book.
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks for that informative reply :)

My alternative is the PJB BG800- this is a made to order 700w 12 speaker "road case"

http://www.bassdirect.co.uk/bass_guit...BG800.html

Anyone ever seen/ heared/ used one ?
Its a small package for the beast that it is and at a similar price to the mesa ....
D
DrDAV
Posted 10 years ago
I've had one of those also. The Mesa is much warmer in tone and I found that they were pretty equal in volume. The BG800 is very clean in its delivery. Depending on the sound your after, both are good rigs.
W
Wonky
Posted 10 years ago
The PJB size and weight stats are:

Model
Roadcase BG-800
Type
Lightweight bass combo,750W output,2CH,6 band EQ,limiter,2x angled & 10x front firing speakers,Active/passive input,headphone out,DI out,pre-amp out
Size
15.4W x 18.9D x 36.2H inch
Poweroutput
750W
Speakers
12 x PJB NeoPower Type A
Net Weight
74 lbs / 33.5kg
Volts
120 or 240V AC

The mesa walkabout 12 stats are :

Power rating: 300 watts into 4 ohms
Dimensions: 16w" x 15r" x
28r"

Weight: 50 lbs

Speakers: Mesa-designed
neodymium speakers with
dynamic tweeter

So...... The mesa is a little smaller and a bit lighter.... I'm sure they are both great soundings, but the PJB may prove a little more versatile with its shear power rating ?

Both similar costs around the £1650 mark

I'm really curious to hear the bottom end from both.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator