Opinions Of This S2 Spec Before i Order!

Last updated on 11 years ago
Jonathan BlackJonathan Black
Posted 11 years ago
Hey guys, I am just curious to know some of your opinions of this s2 before ordering,

S2 Classic through-neck bass (Or bolt on),
5-string (Or 4-String with hipshot D tuner), headed
Woven graphite facings
Custom ‘Buzzard’ EQ as used on the B2 bass
Black hardware, With Chrome eq knobs
Green (Or blue) Front LEDs
Black schaller strap locks

Thanks! :)
Edited by Jonathan Black on 23-08-2013 11:15, 11 years ago
X
Xeins
Posted 11 years ago
Looks Great, i should order a 5 strings, black hardware, with blue leads. Go for it!!!
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 11 years ago
I chose chrome hardware but black looks great too:

i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphitecloseup.jpg

i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/AllGraphite.jpg

If you go for a 5 string I reckon you should consider going for the longer scale option as the extra tension brings the low B to life even more. It costs a bit more than the standard 34" scale though.

What does the Buzzard circuit do that the standard 303 circuit doesn't out of interest?
Posted 11 years ago
To be honest, I don't really know the difference with the eqs, I have just always fancied the classic buzzard 1, shame I don't have 15k handy! So I decided to opt for all the electronics of the buzzard, In a s-2 body. I believe it's just a 3 band eq with a midrange switch!

Also thanks for the advice regarding scale, I have a 34" music man classic series stingray 5, great low B! But I think I might opt for a higher scale if I so go for it... What scale do you recommend?
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 11 years ago

Jonathan Black wrote:
To be honest, I don't really know the difference with the eqs, I have just always fancied the classic buzzard 1, shame I don't have 15k handy! So I decided to opt for all the electronics of the buzzard, In a s-2 body. I believe it's just a 3 band eq with a midrange switch!

Also thanks for the advice regarding scale, I have a 34" music man classic series stingray 5, great low B! But I think I might opt for a higher scale if I so go for it... What scale do you recommend?

Standard scale length is 34", the longer scale is 34 3/4" so not enough to feel any different under your fingers. I think the longer scale will give you a slightly tighter low B, especially if you use light strings. Mine are all 34 3/4" scale with fairly heavy strings and the low B sounds great and is playable anywhere on the neck without sounding woolly. I've only quickly tried the 34" but it sounded pretty good, have a look on the price list and see if you think it's worth the extra cost for the longer scale.

The standard circuit in the S2 also has a mid switch that gives boost/flat/cut, plus a mid frequency sweep knob. I find it really useful as it gives 3 different sounds at the flick of a switch. It also has bass and treble controls, the spec seems pretty similar to the Buzzard so you might want to check with Rob if there's any difference.
Posted 11 years ago
Rob just got back to me regarding differences in the eqs.

"The controls on John’s Buzzard had an on/off switch for the midrange EQ and the circuit is tuned to give a much wider range of frequencies.
It sounds more like a wah pedal for the frequency sweep."
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 11 years ago

Jonathan Black wrote:
Rob just got back to me regarding differences in the eqs.

"The controls on John’s Buzzard had an on/off switch for the midrange EQ and the circuit is tuned to give a much wider range of frequencies.
It sounds more like a wah pedal for the frequency sweep."

Sounds like the standard S2 circuit is probably more appropriate for everyday playing as it can cut the mids as well as boost them.
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 11 years ago
Jonathan, let me introduce you to Luc
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator