Refretting experiences

Last updated on 18 years ago
lintpetelintpete
Posted 18 years ago
Hi, I read a lot of interesting threads on this forum, but now at last my own first post!

I recently bought a secondhand 5-string headed Empathy. It is 13 years old, has some dings an dongs, but what a wonderful bass this is! It has medium fretwear and may need refretting in the near future.

Therefor my question: Who has experience with fretjobs, either done by a luthier or by Status? Is it possible to have the refretting performed by a luthier who ofcourse has experience with wooden fretboards only.
What will be the costs for a Status?

Bye,
Peter
HotTubesGroovesHotTubesGrooves
Posted 18 years ago
I recently had a Precision refretted by a luthier with Stainless Steel frets, and it cost me £135. If you have a graphite neck without a truss rod I would get Status to look at it, as it will be a precise job.

I dont see why a normal luthier couldnt do a refret on a graphite neck providing that it has a truss rod though.
lintpetelintpete
Posted 18 years ago
Why does the truss rod make the difference? The Empathy doesn't have one.
Posted 18 years ago
In order to do the refret most luthiers will slacken the truss rod to make it easier to remove and insert the frets, but more importantly, its to make sure there is no buzz afterwards - if there is no way of setting neck relief after a refret the fretjob will have to be perfect, or you'll get fretbuzz. Especially if you go for a very low action, as I suspect most Status owners will B)

If I were you I'd ask a local luthier - they might be more than happy to do it, but the impression I got from my luthier (I was concerned my truss rod wasn't working correctly and asked him to check it before he did my refret) was that he wouldn't undertake a refret without a way of setting neck relief.
GroovemasterGroovemaster
Posted 18 years ago
After a verry bad experience with a fret-job done by a German Guitar builder in Aachen (who claimed to have experience with Statii) on my Energy a few years ago, I decided to send back every other Status I have owned (and presently own to Rob :(

Because of his unique knowledge of working with Graphite en Phenol (the material most Status fretboards are made of), I think he is one of the few people in the business who can handle with your problem B)

Costs are about 300,- euros including shipping, but Its' worth it every Penny :o
Posted 18 years ago
How quickly did you manage to get Rob to do yours Groovemaster? I may need to have my Series 1 refretted with Stainless Steel frets as I'm allergic to Nickel...
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I got Rob to put a new fingerboard on my S2000 (from a very worn fretted to plain fretless). I know thats not what you want done, but it cost me £300 or so and took a few months (due to their holidays and that I forgot they had it for a month or so). I'd imagine a re-fret would take much less time, might as well get the fingerboard re-finished while you're at it.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
Posted 18 years ago
Thanks mate.
GroovemasterGroovemaster
Posted 18 years ago
Refretting the Energy took him about six weeks.

Like Steve said, It really depends on how buzzy he is (vacation, Namm, Frankfurter Messe etc.)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator