recording options

Last updated on 13 years ago
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
To D.I. or not to, or who uses a Mic to record bass, who goes straight in etc? I am thinking of going down the Mic route, tried all others and only got 'my' sound a few times. I know Todd Mics and he gets a great sound. So c'mon guys lets get a useful thread, it's been a bit dry of late!
taz154btaz154b
Posted 13 years ago
being a recording engineer for about25 years and live sound guy for 37 I found the best is............. both, I would really work with different microphones and positions on the speaker, also use the best possible DI, if a passve DI the transformer is key, small transformers saturate and murder the sound.Can't go wrong with a passive DI with a jensen transformer. Ampeg used to make a SVT tube active DI which was awesome. Avalon makes a nice one too. take the DI before the amp so you get the pure sound of the bass. As for microphones don't limit yourself to the usual dynamics (57, md421, etc). Some of the better condensers will sound great with proper placement. Hope this gives you some things to consider.
80 kramer dmz5000- present
2010 status B2 -present
Ashdown abm500 evo III
Ashdown APM 1000 power amp
ADA MB1
Line6 Basspodxt with shortboard
(2) hartke 410 hydrives
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Totally agre with taz154b, don't rely on a DI box exclusively.
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Thanks chaps, did some 'test' takes last night and had mixed results. I was definitely picking up some residual noise going straight into the soundcard, no preamp, it was much better going straight onto my digital 16 track recorder, firstly amp mic'd, then straight in no pre, then DI'd with valve pre so lots to consider because of the varying qualities and sound dynamics. I have to say Mic, just off centre cone on a 10" speaker was great! Used a kick drum mic first, then a condenser...big difference!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator