Combos

Last updated on 17 years ago
I
indyman612
Posted 18 years ago
I have decided after lugging my 2 cabs and head and other sundrie gear up 2 flights of stairs at yet another late night gig that I need something lighter. I want a combo thats under 25kg The Mark Bass range looks good, Anybody got any views?
I just want something good and basic that can produce around 2-300watts and suits soul and jazz!
Anyones views would be appreciated.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Personally, I was very impressed with Behringer combos (my previous amp being a BX120 Ultrabass) I think there is a 300w version now available.

Great sound compared to others I tried. Half of me wants to sell my Ashdown/Marshall rig to get a behringer 300W head and 4*10 cab.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
Edited by Steve on 23-07-2006 10:44, 18 years ago
bibbib
Posted 18 years ago
behringer??? for a bass amp? did you compare with an ampeg or other good rigs?
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I'm fairly sure that, at the time, there were no shops stocking Ampeg in Belfast.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
The Markbass gear is excellent. Have heard that the 2x10 combo isn't their best though as the tweeter can be a bit overpowering and isn't adjustable. The 1x12 combo is an amazing bit of kit and light too. B)

Otherwise try a LittleMark2 head with a cab of your choice. The head weighs less than 3 kg and puts out 500 watts into 4 ohms and about 300 watts into a single 8 ohm cab. I used to run mine througha n EBS neo 1x12 and a Flite 1 x15 and the whole lot weighed less than 60 pounds. Superb kit!
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
Markbass stuff is kool.... I wasn't particularly struck on the amps but the cabs are superb... you also wanna check some Gallien Krueger as that stuff rocks.... as for dealers in belfast for Ampeg... not sure... you might wanna check out Reynolds of Raphoe though... they always have a good selection when ever i'm over there.... bit of a trek from Belfast.... but easier to get to than Dublin.

Misterpink
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
I
indyman612
Posted 18 years ago
thanks for the suggestions.
I think I need to hear stuff, though I was hoping to pick something up second hand on recomendatio. I guess its just as subjective as the sound of a bass.
Stiil, having checked out some of the suggestions there doesnt seem to be anyone making gear as light weight as Mark Bass.
G
gobasserk
Posted 18 years ago
How about a Glockenklang? I know several Status players that play Glockenklang!
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago
My Status on my Markbass 121H just sounds fantastic!
And my other basses as well, to tell you the truth...
;)
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I've a GK MB150E that I use all the time for small gigs, recording, and rehearsals. It has a 12" speaker, really great EQ section, and is rated at 150 watts (with an extension speaker) and weighs about 27 lbs. I couldn't be happier with it. People are amazed at how loud and clear it is for such a small amp.
GroovemasterGroovemaster
Posted 18 years ago
After 15 years of carrying my backbone-breaking Trace Elliot rig (AH-350 SMX+18"/10" encl.+15" encl.) I decided to get rid of the heavy stuff and bought myself the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 15" 300 W Combo and...............its's amazing !

Verry light (15 kg), verry loud, huge sound and high-end quality.

Look for the specs on their website.

Between the Trace and the Mesa, I owned an Glockenklang combo, but although it was light and high-end built, I didn't like the sound of it.

Cheers,

Paul
R
rikster
Posted 18 years ago
+1 for Markbass. My 1x15 combo is absolutely amazing. So much power from something so small and light. It handles the B so much better than may Ashdown 4x10/Mag 300 head. I know some who think it's a bit neutral sounding, but I'm happier with letting the bass do the work.

I haven't heard many that would speak up for Behringer, I've had some stuff, mixers/compressors and suchlike, a solitary DI is the only thing that has never let me down. I wouldn't touch a Behringer plectrum these days, but maybe I've just been unlucky.......very unlucky.
C
Chamelea
Posted 18 years ago
If your prepared to carry 33kg then I highly recommend the warwick combos particuarly the CCL ND4 with a 15" speaker. 250W and as clear as a bell!
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago

rikster wrote:
I haven't heard many that would speak up for Behringer, I've had some stuff, mixers/compressors and suchlike, a solitary DI is the only thing that has never let me down. I wouldn't touch a Behringer plectrum these days, but maybe I've just been unlucky.......very unlucky.

Admittedly the mixers are rubbish, and I've seen one of the compressors go on fire, but the DI's and poweramps are very good for the money. I mean, less than £200 for an EP2500, sure its not got the perfect clarity of a Lab Gruppen - but its a damn good bang for your buck.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

M
mulletsrokk
Posted 18 years ago
I've been here, tried loads of combi's. Came to the ultimate conclusion that your better off either lugging the full rig, or hiring a decent rig at a rehearsal room or studio.

For example, I used a 150w 15" Marshall combi for a while, got rid of it because it lacked power even in rehearsal situations. Used a Ashdown combi for a while, that was underpowered too.

Consider the price. I paid £380 for my GK 4x10. A 2x10 is £340. for the price I think either you lug the weight, or hire at a rehearsal venue.

I have always been dissapointed with combis... just my 2c. ;)
W
will
Posted 18 years ago
I've got a Trace Elliot 300 watt 2x10 which, on its own, is much the same as any other combo in terms of having to work hard to be heard.

However, add a 1x15 cab to it and you're in the big time because, not only are you adding another speaker to the system but you are also using the amplifier to its optimum.

So my advice is: buy a combo for practice but add a second cab for gigs.
GroovemasterGroovemaster
Posted 18 years ago
Sorry, I guess I was writing my "Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout" article after a few drams, but it weights 25 kg instead of the 15 kg I mentioned earlier (It sureley feeled like 15 kg after drinking those drams) :D
GroovemasterGroovemaster
Posted 18 years ago
Forgot to attatch the website :o:

www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_...kScout.htm
I
indyman612
Posted 18 years ago
Well, one mans meat and all that. Its been a while since I asked the question but I have found the answer! Its a Mark Bass 210 combo. The sound is fine and in my opinion its hard to tell on stage with ear plugs whats good or great, but the weight and portability is a dream come true. I can get it in the boot of my car (a Seat Ibiza) and its only 20kg and that is LIGHT. The volume is amazing, at least as good as my Hartke 3500 into a 4x10 and 1x15. Plus it can be tilted back so I get to hear what I'm playing without deafening everyone else. Just a shame about the price. The sound guy loves it 'cause it pumps out more power to him and everyone who has heard it likes it. A winner (for me).
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Mmmmm, dram.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator