Ashdown's NEW Tube Amps

Last updated on 13 years ago
D
dreambass
Posted 13 years ago
I just returned from the NAMM Show in LA and the standout, I was there on business and didn't see it all, were the new Ashdown Tube Amps released at the show. You can see them here: http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/section.asp?section=valve

Mr. Gooday was nothing if not warm, engaging and inviting!!! He seemed a genuinely nice guy and knew that bass amplification could be his ticket to immortality. I personally have 5 Ashdown built amps ( they don't all SAY Ashdown ) and won't use anything else...... until I saw the Ashdown tube amps and Combo's!!

They've taken the "Lil Bastard" 30 watt, Studio/Club head, and turned it into a 21st century Ampeg B-15 Fliptop/Combo!!! VERY, VERY COOL!!!!

In addition they've added a 180 watt "all tube" head and offered it independently, as well as in a "two-way" (1X15 plus horn) Fliptop/Combo that will rip it to pieces. I've ALWAYS loved the recordability of the Ampeg B-12/15, but this combo is just an awesome modern performer!!!! I've looked for one of the few Matchless Bass Combo's in the past (Way Too Expensive) but this just makes them obsolete.

One of our brethren (Guitarrebel01) , at my encouragement, sat down with Mark Gooday and now owns the very first ever DH-200H ever sold in North America, if not the World. It's that good! My 2 ohm version, yes.... they can modify for 2 ohm, is on order. VERY COOL STUFF! Ken
Ken Smith/Albany, NY, USA

David King C4 Custom 32"
Linc Luthier Custom Fretless 4
Euphonic Audio iAmp350C, (3)iAmp500/UK
Euphonic Audio IL210 (PROTOTYPE w/9 drivers), assorted VL & CxL Cabinets, Combos.
NAU Custom All Tube Hand-built 265 watt Stage Amp.
Stewart 2.1 Power Amp w/A.M.P SL-1 Preamp
Ashdown Superfly 500 w/Superfly 48 Cabinet
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Ahhhh who said the Brits would never have an empire again??? We seem to be forging out our own in the bass world!
D
dreambass
Posted 13 years ago
I also noted that the MK Signature Series wasn't on display (didn't think to ask why?) and now I see it doesn't appear in the online catalog. Did MK make a move to Mark Bass?
Ken Smith/Albany, NY, USA

David King C4 Custom 32"
Linc Luthier Custom Fretless 4
Euphonic Audio iAmp350C, (3)iAmp500/UK
Euphonic Audio IL210 (PROTOTYPE w/9 drivers), assorted VL & CxL Cabinets, Combos.
NAU Custom All Tube Hand-built 265 watt Stage Amp.
Stewart 2.1 Power Amp w/A.M.P SL-1 Preamp
Ashdown Superfly 500 w/Superfly 48 Cabinet
BLUNDERTHUMBSBLUNDERTHUMBS
Posted 13 years ago

dreambass wrote:
I also noted that the MK Signature Series wasn't on display (didn't think to ask why?) and now I see it doesn't appear in the online catalog. Did MK make a move to Mark Bass?

He is now using TC Electronics.
I asked him why and he said he'd been a fan of them for a while and just fancied a change.
RetroronRetroron
Posted 13 years ago

BLUNDERTHUMBS wrote:

dreambass wrote:

He is now using TC Electronics.
I asked him why and he said he'd been a fan of them for a while and just fancied a change.

The MK500 is still on the Ashdown site (as is the MK500 combo!), but it's in the Amps No Longer In Production section. There is however no sign of the gold plated 30th Anniversary MK500, so obviously Ashdown are quite keen to move on from their association with MK. I think this is a bit petty on Ashdown's part as the MK500 is a great amp at the end of the day. Look at Jaydee, MK stopped playing his basses years ago, but John Diggins is obviously proud of having been associated with MK, and he'll still gladly build a Jaydee MK Signature bass should anyone put in an order for one.

Times change, technology changes, and people move on with regards to music gear. I think it's a case of sour grapes on Ashdown's behalf. Which I can appreciate a little considering they launched the 30th Anniversary head just before last year's UK tour, then MK switched to TC for the tour. Having said that, I used to have a MK500, and it was a great amp, but then again, having just heard the TC RH450 combo, I must admit it sounds fantastic !!
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
At the same time Ashdown are a much bigger company than JD so can't really have "dead wood" on their catalogue. Without a name act like MK using a specific piece of their gear it might not be cost effective to keep it in production. John Diggins makes his basses to order so can afford to do a one off build for a customer. Not so easy in mass production.
Edited by bassbus on 17-01-2011 21:06, 13 years ago
T
Trev
Posted 13 years ago
I've had personal dealings with Mark Gooday over a problem with my Lodestone (by Ashdown) bass.

He has been incredibly helpful. Top geezer!

Trev
D
dave nield
Posted 13 years ago
Told u guys before. You'll have to go a long way to find a company, and british too, easier to deal with. Top quality gear, just look at stages the world over and see what gear is being used, they cant all be wrong. Ive had an association with Mark and Chris at Ashdown sine the trace elliot days. Simply gear and service the way it should be
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
I have used ashdowns only a few times, found them a bit wooly in sound jmo. I thought the 'gold' MK500 was only a short run of 42 being made? It's funny how some companies go backwards in tech, I mean, valves are what, about 80 years now? I like what TC are doing and the products look swish as well as light. I'm a fan of progressive companies but the old ones like Marshall keep going on valves so they must be doing something right!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator