My Mr. Pink cover

Last updated on 13 years ago
jerrycatanescujerrycatanescu
Posted 13 years ago
OK, I didn't play it on a Status, as I didn't own one at the time, but it's related by the carbon footprint, lack of a headstock, and, well, it's a Level 42 song. Oh, and it's the song that got me back into bass playing after a long hiatus.

Played on my Steinberger XL-2.

P.S. Watch out for dangerous MIDI drumming ;)

[mp3]http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~ieronim/media/Mr.%20Pink.mp3[/mp3]
Status Series 2 5, Modulus Quantum 5
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Dude, its a good thing you did such a faithful tribute to the song, otherwise I would NOT excuse the absence of a Status bass in that recording!

() Fantastic job ()
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
Posted 13 years ago
Thanks! I must have taken a week just to program the drums, and I'll never admit how much editing there is on the bass track, or how long it took and how many takes :)

In case anybody is wondering, the Series 2 I just got sounds surprisingly similar to my Steinberger. The Status can get brighter, but that might just be the different EQ.
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Awesome ()
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Excellent job! I've never heard a Steinberger sound so Status-like before. Good stuff.
andreandre
Admin
Posted 13 years ago
Superb cover and great bass sound too !
TotschTotsch
Posted 13 years ago
()()()()()
Buddy - it does not matter how long did it take you to program the drums or how long have you worked on this song.
The result speaks for itself!
All available Thumbs up!
()()()()()
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Very very good!

Although it's not played on a Status like the original so... GET OUT

:D :D :D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
Posted 13 years ago
Thanks all!

The Steinie did have Status strings on it, so I think it just got a ticket to this forum, as it's about "all things Status", not just the basses :) The strings probably helped it sound close to a Status, as well as the active EQ, which was was not original, but my own design. The original Steinie EQ uses a lower center frequency for the highs and rolls off the very highest, which takes away some of the "air" you're used to on Statii.

Oh, and the original "The Early Tapes" Mr. Pink was not played on a Status either.
Edited by jerrycatanescu on 15-01-2011 03:01, 13 years ago
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago

jerrycatanescu wrote:
Thanks all!

The Steinie did have Status strings on it, so I think it just got a ticket to this forum, as it's about "all things Status", not just the basses :) The strings probably helped it sound close to a Status, as well as the active EQ, which was was not original, but my own design. The original Steinie EQ uses a lower center frequency for the highs and rolls off the very highest, which takes away some of the "air" you're used to on Statii.

Oh, and the original "The Early Tapes" Mr. Pink was not played on a Status either.

Just wondering who would bite :D

Great playing mate, very nice timing and feel which is rare when you hear MK lines played by 'others'!
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
T
travelingbassman
Posted 13 years ago
Great stuff Jerry nice one:)
Did you know that an over exposure to shit drummers can make you ill ,Sad
D
Don Prince
Posted 13 years ago
Great rendition, I love the heavy guitar & brass vision, very very nice indeed...

Don.
There is enough music for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.

Robert Fripp.
sgh42sgh42
Posted 13 years ago
Super stuff ! ()
Posted 13 years ago
I just dug this out: a slow version of Mr. Pink that I recorded as a learning tool, before I could play it at the normal tempo. It also features fewer heavy guitar parts and a crappier bass solo ;) It might help somebody else who's trying to learn it:

[mp3]http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~ieronim/media/MrPink100bpm.mp3[/mp3]
Edited by jerrycatanescu on 17-04-2011 10:56, 13 years ago
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 13 years ago
Excellent stuff, great playing and the Steinie is sounding fab!!

I always liked the sound of the Steinberger Richard Page was playing with Mr. Mister.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator