What Compressor?

Last updated on 13 years ago
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Need one for some live work, soooo many to choose from. So folks, if your using, what is it. Pedal or rack? I really want a pedal, I have looked at the Aguilar, MXR, Aphex Punch Factory, EBS and Boss, all quite good but maybe not quite right. I have seen some custom builds but are they any good? Really not sure so come on guys.... I await your wealth of experience:D
B
bjasso
Posted 13 years ago
Had the chance last week to try the MarkBass Compressore and was very impressed. The write-up says it compresses single strong frequencies so that the mids and highs don't get strangled when you compress ther lows and vice-versa. Tried it with a MM Stingray and Fender Jazz passive. Definately a must try -- it reacts different than the BOSS pedal.
TotschTotsch
Posted 13 years ago
Yes - the "MarkBass Compressore" is very impressive. You should definitely try it.
The "TC Electronic Nova Dynamics" is also worth a try. I recently met some slapstyle-players at my local dealer, who were very enthusiastic about this toy. As far as I know it is originally intended for guitar - but I was told that the frequency response should also be suitable for bass. I have heard it, liked it - but not tried it myself though.
The EBS is nice - but (IMO) not so good if you want to use it as a limiter.
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
Ok looks like it's now between the Aphex and the TC Nova Dynamics. Both a bit expensive to be totally honest but both doing the job, leaning towards the TC as it has dual functionality and its only a tad more in cost. However the Aphex can run off 9v battery. Decisions, decisions!
JimJim
Posted 13 years ago
Don't write off the old Trace Elliot Dual Compressors - they pop up on eBay from time to time - mine's great!

www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/trace-elliot-smx-dual.JPG
- Status Empathy 4 String Headless SimS SensiLight LEDs
- Status "The Groove" 5 String
- Fender Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass
- Hohner B2 Steinberger Copy
- Crafter Electro-Acoustic Bass
- Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass
- TC Electronic RH750 + RS210 + RS112
- Trace Elliot Series 6 715 1 x15" Combo (For Sale!)
- Peavey Microbass Practice Amp
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
It's done! The pedals I mentioned and tried were indeed very good but for a steal I took a gamble on the 'Soul Preacher' ....the name was good enough to seal the deal:D A fleabay bargain and it works an absolute treat. I remember Electro Harmonix holding the bass market at one time so thought I would have a pop again as I had a few of their bits an bobs over the last century.

i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/DannyBaylis/soul-preacher.jpg
Edited by Danny on 01-02-2011 08:03, 13 years ago
RetroronRetroron
Posted 13 years ago
That pedal brings back memories lookswise. A bass player I played with in one of the first bands I played with when I left school had a Rolly, or Roly compressor/sustain pedal. We used to rehearse in these old church halls, and the place was huge. The centre was like a theartre with balcony etc. The keyboard player and I used to go in late at night a bit worse for wear, and boy did that Roly pedal go flying!! :D The thing was bounced off walls countless times, on numerous occasions ( We were only 16 at the time!!:) ), and it remained in one piece. So the build quality of your pedal seems quite substancial there Danny :D
Edited by Retroron on 01-02-2011 21:35, 13 years ago
B
bjasso
Posted 13 years ago
Danny, don't forget to give us a review of your new toy.
I
intercept
Posted 13 years ago

Jim wrote:Don't write off the old Trace Elliot Dual Compressors - they pop up on eBay from time to time - mine's great!

I totally agree, I've used one with my Ampeg for 10+ years - Its got the 'nads. I've never liked Trace amps but these pedals are superb.

I'm considering getting a tc electronic Combo450 which has a built in multi-band compressor, so the Trace pedal might become surplus. Ditto for the Ampeg if the tc impresses me. It'll have to be good to beat the Ampeg tone, but I do like the idea of a loud combo that's the same size as the Ampeg head in its flightcase...
JimJim
Posted 13 years ago

intercept wrote:

Jim wrote:Don't write off the old Trace Elliot Dual Compressors - they pop up on eBay from time to time - mine's great!

I totally agree, I've used one with my Ampeg for 10+ years - Its got the 'nads. I've never liked Trace amps but these pedals are superb.

I'm considering getting a tc electronic Combo450 which has a built in multi-band compressor, so the Trace pedal might become surplus. Ditto for the Ampeg if the tc impresses me. It'll have to be good to beat the Ampeg tone, but I do like the idea of a loud combo that's the same size as the Ampeg head in its flightcase...

Spooky - I'm with you there - probably Combo 450 plus another 2 x 10 should do it for me - saves the extra gig bag and head seems far less likely to get dragged onto the floor by lead, etc......
- Status Empathy 4 String Headless SimS SensiLight LEDs
- Status "The Groove" 5 String
- Fender Squier Contemporary Active Jazz Bass
- Hohner B2 Steinberger Copy
- Crafter Electro-Acoustic Bass
- Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass
- TC Electronic RH750 + RS210 + RS112
- Trace Elliot Series 6 715 1 x15" Combo (For Sale!)
- Peavey Microbass Practice Amp
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator