Neck width and profiles....

Last updated on 13 years ago
Rob GreenRob Green
Posted 13 years ago
Hi All,
I have recently had a number of e-mails asking about the "thicker", "thinner", "fatter", "slimmer" neck profiles we use. To be honest there is currently only one neck profile: It is a slim 'C' shape starting around 20mm at the 1st fret and about 22mm at the 12th fret. The edge profile is the same all the way but the back of the neck is slightly flatter as you go towards the body.

There are obviously some slight variations between models but they are generally the same. The narrower 16.5mm necks can feel a little 'chunkier' because of the narrower width as you move towards the body. (The width at the top-nut is the same on 19mm or 16.5mm models).

Older models (until the early 90's) did have some variations as the mouldings were sourced from another company. This was one of the reasons we developed our own method of moulding. We have made all our own graphite mouldings for nearly 20 years and do not mould for any other company. (Except the 200 Musicman Anniversary models).

The fingerboard radius is slightly flatter than many basses at about 16" (410mm).

I hope this helps clarify things.

Rob.
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
I guess we need to update the "Buying a new bass" section.....

Thanks for clarifying Mr green B)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator