Ashdown mk500

Last updated on 13 years ago
M
musicman5
Posted 14 years ago
Anyone used or using an ashdown MK 500 head(mark king model). Am curious to hear views and opinions as am considering getting one.
EdmoukEdmouk
Posted 14 years ago
Hi,

I had one last year, but really was unhappy with it ; very noisy buzz when the graphic eq. is turned on.
I even had to replace the toroïdal transformer that broke down while on stage !!
And honestly, for a 500watts amp, I 've found that it had less power and dynamic than my Trace Elliot 250 watts RAH 250 SMX !! So I went back to my Trace Elliot amp head which never failed me in 17 years.

In my opinion ,Ashdown amps are far from being totally reliable. I've even seen Mark King himself having issues on stage with his MK500.

About the sound, I would say it's not as "organic" as a Trace Elliot for the mids frequencies are lacking a bit of warmth, delivering a clear but somehow synthetic sound, especially when high frequencies are pushed up.

So Ashdown amps are no longer for me.

I hope this "helps"... ;)
D
dave nield
Posted 14 years ago
Try one for yourself m8. Its the only way to know. I used to be supplied by trace elliot, now by ashdown, i think theyr better but thats my opinion. Certainly a great company to deal with
RetroronRetroron
Posted 14 years ago
I used to have a MK500, but I got rid of it as I also have a Ashdown Superfly 500 which I prefered the sound of. Having said that, I went through 3 Superfly's before I got one that actually functioned properly. The first two I had worked first time, then just wouldn't switch on again, totally dead !! The Superfly I have at present has played up once or twice, so I'm about to get shot of it and buy the TC RH450 Combo, then add the extra 2x10 cab at a later date. :D
D
dave nield
Posted 14 years ago
Guys, trust me, and all the other top players who have been Ashdown users for years, the equipment and the company are quality. Ask anyone who uses them or has had dealings with them. My mates ferrari broke down last weekend.... enough said ! Anyone want to take me up on a bet as to MK's return to using Ashdown ? Put the company and the gear to the test. All the 'names' cant be wrong. In my opinion a perfect partner to Status and hey an all british line up !!!
Edited by dave nield on 17-10-2010 01:54, 14 years ago
M
musicman5
Posted 14 years ago
Bought me an Ashdown MK500 head, after much deliberation. ........ and I love it!!!!
D
dave nield
Posted 14 years ago
C i told ya:)
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
I had one for a week and then got rid of it..... for my purposes I found it utterly disappointing, lots of noise issues.... Saying that I know a few people who have one and love them. I get the feeling with Ashdown (having used and owned several of their amps) they are a bit hit and miss with QC. Having listened to MK through the TC equipment I think he now has a fuller sound.... Guess it depends on how much free kit he gets.... ;o)
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago

Misterpink wrote:
Having listened to MK through the TC equipment I think he now has a fuller sound.... Guess it depends on how much free kit he gets.... ;o)

I'd have to agree, had my ear right up on stage at Ipswich, his bass sounded so round but crisp at the same time, heavenly...made it pretty difficult to concentrate on gettimg the pictures! (MK seemed to like it too)

i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/mazdaguy42/IMG_00452.jpg
M
musicman5
Posted 13 years ago
...and gigged it last night, and it blew me away.
Bought it on a bit of a risk as got it for a steal of a price. Suffice to say, I shall be holding onto her.
Musicman Stingray 5 string (2005)
T Bass (1998ish)
Kubicki Ex Factor (1991)
Fender Jazz (1975)
Musicman sterling (a proper one!!!) []
Sandberg TM5 (34"Wink
Sandberg TM5 (35"Wink
Status Series II fiver.
TC RH 450. TC RS cabs.
DR Lo Riders. (could I ask for anything more!!?! Yes.... a Wal!!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator