What Bass combo?

Last updated on 13 years ago
M
musicman5
Posted 14 years ago
In my quest for the perfect combo I figured who better to get advice from than some fellow status owners.

Having sold most of my SWR gear I now find myself looking for a nice combo that will pack enough power to keep up with the usual loud guitarists and over zealous drummers, but will be easy to lug around. (I also want to know the meaning of life?!!):|

I had my SWR SM500 for 10 years or so, but to be honest, never really got to grips with it. I do like the cabs though, especially the goliath III. Prior to that i had a Trace Elliot AH300 with the usual trace set up of 4x10 and 1x15. That amp was magic and the sound awesome. I often regret selling that, but that was 15 or so years ago when youth was on my side and the thought of its weight (and size) gives me (pleasant) nightmares.

So where do I go now? I quite like the look of and reviews of the Markbass 2x10 combo and have heard some good things about Genz Benz. I have also considered an Ashdown 2x10 Mark King combo, having loved Trace, but I must say not being particularly impressed with the early ashdowns i once tried.
The SWR redhead is another option, but I am put off by my experiences of the SM500.

I may well hold onto my Goliath III as an emergency extension, but the jury is still out on that one, so dont let that be a deciding factor in any advice.

For the vast majority of the time I play a Status series II classic 5string and a Musicman 5, with occasional BOSS GT6B.

So come on guys, confuse me or convince me. ;)
D
DrDAV
Posted 14 years ago
I'm Jekyll and Hyde.
I've just recently acquired a Phil Jones Bass BG-800
very clean and loud, cuts through the mix, very tight.....but expensive
and.........
Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12" with 12" Ext. cabinet
also very loud, thick ,warm and overdriven if you are so inclined.
Ran in stereo or A/B.........versatile
Neither is very large, both fit in the back of my Smart Fortwo
I'm very happy with both amps and would recommend both, just fit it to your needs
The only other combo I use is the GK MB150E with the Ext cab, GREAT amp, I've had it for 5yrs and use it for rehearsals or when I'm playing with an Acoustic guitar group.
Best of luck, trust your ears
M
musicman5
Posted 14 years ago
I thought I would be inundated with advice by now???
D
dubalonbass
Posted 14 years ago
I have a markbass 102 p ...so happy about it !

Alain
me4bassme4bass
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
I love my EA IAmp 800.
1000 watts into a 1-12 4ohm cabinet.
Could stack 2-12 at 2ohm for 2000 watts.
Flat, clean, loud sound for upright or electric bass.
Newest EA amps are lighter weight now.
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
Mark bass slim head 450w £175 on eBay, cracking head
Cracking price! I hear good things about
Mark bass!
Z
zn_bassman
Posted 14 years ago
Hartke HyDrive. My Status B-2 and Alembic Rogue sound great through it. Available in 115, 112, and 210 configurations. I tried all 3 with my B-2 and settled on the 115. Very flexible control of tone, nice mix of warmth and punch.
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 13 years ago
So here's one to miss!

The Laney RB6 1x15 combo. OMG Used one at a gig yesterday, why oh why, I had my own combo with me and thought, sod lugging it downstairs 'I'll use the house one'! I really should know better by now. Sound check went ok but it really...and I mean really couldn't handle the 5th string on my S2.

It died, my sound died:( Funny how self critical you can be though as the audience said it sounded great....must just have been on stage then!:D
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator