Phil Jones Bass

Last updated on 14 years ago
GremlinGremlin
Posted 14 years ago
I need to get myself a new combo, that is powerful enough for large venues and light enough for my back, and Phil Jones make some that might be just perfect.
I have been using my Briefcase amp with my Alembics, and they sound amazing. But now, my Status is on my way, so I was wondering, does anyone have some experience with a Status-PJB combination?

And yes, I know Markbass makes some pretty good stuff, but if you are a Markbass person trying to convince me, than you MUST compare it to the sound of the PJB!! B)

Thanks

Greg
P
pal1972
Posted 14 years ago
ive had a pjb in the past and used it with my warwicks and a status energy, it sounded great with either, i dont know enough about how different basses 'sound' but the status sounded pretty good to me through it!!
GremlinGremlin
Posted 14 years ago
Okay, you all convinced me.
I'm getting a Markbass rig tomorrow. ()
I hope I'm doing the right thing!

Greg
A
aehlert
Posted 14 years ago
I like mine...I don't gig or anything though.

I've got a F1 and use a Demeter preamp...sounds really good in the basement. :)
WilWil
Posted 14 years ago
I use PJB cabs (but with an Acoustic Image amp) because I don't like tweeters for use with bass. IMO the PJB speakers are fantastic with any status (I use a Strata and a fretless KB).

Good luck.
Wil
2013 J Bitsa Graphite
AI Clarus 2R
PJB 4B x 4
D
DrDAV
Posted 14 years ago
Played one of the new PJB BG-800 combos with the 12 speakers.
Instantly fell in tone love. A little on the expensive side but will most likely take the place of 2 4x10's
that I normally use on loud stages. The cab just cuts through alot better, and its 750 watts.
Stereo it with my Mesa for a clean / dirty setup
Specs: BG-800
750 watts, 12-5" neo speakers
36.2" tall, tilt back wheels & handle
74lbs, dual inputs hi and low Z
Mine is burgundy red
I'll write more once I've put it through some gigs
DAV
D
DrDAV
Posted 14 years ago
Well time has been spent with the BG-800.
A/B comparisons with a couple of different rigs.
Mesa Walkabout, Markbass 210 & Berlin combos, GK MB500 with assorted cabs
What I found was: all are great amplifiers......but
The PJB and the Markbasses, both very clean sounding, but lacking in the personality dept for me.
The Markbass combos are much louder than the PJB, but the PJB at louder volumes sounded better to me.
The Walkabout I feel has a much wider array of sounds, full round, warm, driven to down right raunchy and it was louder than the PJB and very close to the Markbass at 300 watts.
The Walkabout Scout cabs have a HUGE lowend ability.
These are my "anal" observations over the last 3 weeks in different club and stage settings.
The PJB is twice the price of the Markbass and Mesa combos, but I think you have to add an ext cab to both for the comparison, to get the same speaker output on loud stages.
Where I plan to go from here is using the Walkabout primarily(with Ext 12") and for other gigs I'll use the GK MB 500 into the Mesa 12" Scout cab and picking up another Mesa Scout 15" cab.
Love the GK head, light, loud and dual channel option.
The only change in my future I think is to compare the GK MB 500 to the new MB 500 Fusion tube head.
The other great thing after all is said and done, is that I ended up with $2000.00 back in my pocket after returning the PJB and buying the Mesa cab.........................Hmmm I wonder if another bass is in my future??? whats that honey????? new furniture?????:@
Phantom NINPhantom NIN
Posted 14 years ago
The PJB stuff that I have tried has a great tone for cutting through, but the smaller stuff lacks punch. I really just couldn't get to like the really hifi tone of them when combined with my Streamline.
Drew, owner of:

Status Streamline 4 32"/16.5mm
Status Streamline 5 32"/16.5mm

TC Electronics Rebelhead 450
RS 2x10
RS 1x12
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator