Digital piano?

Last updated on 11 years ago
evomanevoman
Posted 14 years ago
This is obviously totally off topic - but as a bass player I don't know where to find info (and you guys are generally so helpful!).

I am looking to get a piano for my son, who is taking lessons (my wife also seems keen to give it a go if we buy one). Does anyone have any experience with digital pianos? Any recommendations - the main feature is really the degree to which it actually feels like a proper piano (so feel is well above sound and electronics). It'd also be nice if it was decent looking since an actual piano style model would need a home somewhere in the house (as opposed to a portable that could be hidden away).

I have my daughter learning guitar and my son learning piano - just need my wife to pick up the drums and we are all set (though sadly I think I am the only member of the family with a decent sense of rhythm!).
Edited by evoman on 06-08-2010 07:03, 14 years ago
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago
I've been told that Roland has the best piano samples, although you probably won't go far wrong with any of the big manufacturers.

As for feel, I have an old Technics piano from about 20 years ago that has weighted keys, however they overdid it and it's hard to play.... I'm sure they've got a better system now. Make sure it's not too weighted or it'll put him off playing it, but not too light otherwise it may be harder to adapt to a real piano.
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
I would have to agree with you that the feel of the weighted keys should be your primary consideration. Most keyboards now days have midi and usb connections. If it doesn't have the sound you're looking for, you can always hook into your computer and use any of the thousands of sounds available. Having said that, I've always been impressed with Yamaha products. They are usually packed with great features, sound good, and are extremely well built. I've got an early model Yamaha digital Piano from the early '80s that was originally my wife's as a child. It still plays and feels great, and fortunately has midi connections. I midi it into my computer and have lots of fun with it.
You said your son was taking lessons, have you talked to his instructor about keyboard selection? He/She will probably have some good input as to key weight, features to look for, and brand.
Best of luck!
evomanevoman
Posted 14 years ago
Thanks for the input - I've read a lot of recommendations on Yamaha and have been told that Roland's sound the best. I've been polling all the sources I trust and am trying to find a bit of a consensus.

We could go with an acoustic piano, but it'd be hard to fit into the house, hard to get thru doorways, damage the floors and need to be tuned regularly (I have pretty good pitch and a badly tuned piano drives me crazy - went to an assembly at the kids school today and was cringing at how far from in tune the piano was!). I also like the idea of being able to have them play with headphones on!
UliUli
Posted 14 years ago
I would really recommend to go with an acoustic piano, if you think that your son might be more than "just a little bit" interested in learning (and maybe others in the family will follow). When you start playing you have to learn the correct hand positions and the right touch to the keys. Although all "better" digital pianos have weighted keys (but not all of them have original hammer mechanics) the touch-response is not really comparable to a real piano, IMHO. Build-in hammer mechanics improve the response characteristic a lot, but then you come close to the price of a new acoustic piano. Roland, Yamaha and Kawai sound different, but it is more a question of the personal taste than quality. If you have the opportunity, test first an acoustic piano, than test a digital one and compare. It is important to develop a good finger stroke right from the beginning.
By now (and this is after 20 years of learning on an acoustic piano) I play the Kawai MP8 and the MP5. The MP8 has one of the best responding keys I have played so far. Good luck! :)
Always one string ahead ...
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
I have a Nord Electro 2. Not fully weighted but somewhat, supposed to feel like the original hammered keys on a Rhodes. The best I have played in digital is the Korg Triton. I just did a job for a guy who paid 22K for a second hand piano from the 1870's! That sounded bloody unbelievable although it was a grand piano.
special-boyspecial-boy
Posted 14 years ago
I have a friend with a 19th Century Steinway (He is a composer, so I guess he can justify it). I can't believe any electric piano can ever sound like that does. Really astounding. All you need to do is remortgage.

Seriously. You could just get a decent midi keyboard and (assuming you have a mac) hook it up to garage band - or any software you have if you are using a pissy. It will likely cost less, and you could then use it for other stuff with garage band too.

Just a thought.

Keith
OutToPlayJazzOutToPlayJazz
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
Yes, the Roland digital pianos have the most real feel to the keys with their "weighted hammer action", but the downside is they're very expensive. I also like the feel and sound of the Yamaha Clavinova range.

I personally have a Casio Privia PX 320 with a small Kustom keyboard amp. That gives me the grand piano sound and the keys are oil filled, so glide very nicely. I've had it about four years now after previously having a Technics digital piano.
Status S2-Classic, Enfield Lionheart Prototype, MusicMan Classic Sabre, Fender Classic Player Rascal
evomanevoman
Posted 14 years ago
thought I'd close this by saying that I had found several good digital piano options and at the last minute found great deal on an acoustic Yamaha, so we've added another stringed instrument to the house. thanks for the advice...
S
sultanmg
Posted 14 years ago
If you are looking for a piano, it is actually the same as looking for a piece of furniture at home. You will have to determine your budget, what kind of piano do you want, electrical or the classical, there are a lot of criteria you have to make sure first before you make any decision. And if you are low on budget, try looking for secondhand pianos, I believe that they are a lot cheaper and still good in condition.
aartsaarts
Posted 11 years ago
Definitely a Yamaha piano. A CP300 for on stage. CLP-170 for at home....
- Status Graphite S2 Matrix 5-string #104,
- Yamaha TRB5
- MarkBass CMD102P
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator