Poll Discussion: String gauges

Last updated on 16 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
New poll out today:

What is your preferred 4 string gauge?

4 string sets being more popular this is why this option was chosen. Since different brands name their sets differently (extra-light or super-light for some brands is actually 40-100 for example) we are using only the actual gauge size.

Vote away!
Edited by andre on 22-06-2006 00:38, 18 years ago
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
30-50-70-90 Dr Hibeams for me as first choice. Im going to try the Status string of the same gauge next, as i think that is what came on the king bass, and i quite like them
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Personally I recommend (use) Status Hotwires 35-95 on all my Statii's except the fretless. 30-90's are cool but the E string tends to be a little sloppy :-)
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

andre wrote:
Personally I recommend (use) Status Hotwires 35-95 on all my Statii's except the fretless. 30-90's are cool but the E string tends to be a little sloppy :-)

Same for me here..... though on the 5 string I use 35-120
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
40-60-80-100, though having not tried anything else I suppose it cant really be my 'preffered'.

However - Literally just through the door are 3 sets of 60-72-98-115 nylon wrapped ones, and they are sexay!
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
BassmanbishBassmanbish
Posted 16 years ago
Hi Chaps

I play a lot of slap and luuuurve 30-90. Plus bends are less painful with 30s. I used to worry about snapping strings on stage, so I used 35-95 which were a bit heavier than I would have liked. I've come to the conclusion that snapping strings has little to do with how heavy the guage is, but more to do with how old the strings are and how hard they are played (not to mention faulty strings).

I always used to use stainless steel (mainly Elites), but I'm currently using Trace Elliot DBE nickels and I'm finding them quite nice. Did I hear that these are not manufactured any more?

Cheers
Matt

Status Empathy Headless 4 String - F&S Blue SIMS LEDs
Washburn Series 1000
Edited by Bassmanbish on 02-04-2008 21:00, 16 years ago
BassmanbishBassmanbish
Posted 16 years ago
Yes I KNOW you had loads of packs - I was watching them on ebay before they were removed :@ LOL!!

I have quite a few packs (about 12 or so) - mostly nickel sets and a couple of stainless steel.

Cheers
Matt

Status Empathy Headless 4 String - F&S Blue SIMS LEDs
Washburn Series 1000
EdmoukEdmouk
Posted 16 years ago
I mainly use Warwick red label 35-90 gauge for my headed basses. Cheap strings but nice to play. And they sound really good.
For my headless Series 2, I'm using GHS double ball end strings (30-90) at the moment. They're just exceptionnal. I used to have Elites strings before which were excellent, but the GHS have more bottom end and brightness than ever ! Highly recommended if you can find them.
Edited by Edmouk on 02-04-2008 22:39, 16 years ago
beanybeany
Posted 16 years ago
Hi all , i started off using 30-90 stadium elites but found i was frequently breaking the G so i went to 35-95 , i felt that the 35 just didnt sound or feel right when being "pulled / snapped" so i went back to 30-90 ,much better for me.
On status dbe hotwires now , they sound much the same as the elites but dont last as long due to the elites stadiums being stainless steel , im not sure but the nickel strings may be kinder on the frets than the stainless ones so im sticking with the hotwires.

darren
KB artist quilted maple green f+s leds 16.5 BW (2008) j type pickups
KB artist rosewood blue f+s leds 16.5 BW (2007) j type pickups
KB artist "the cherry" f+s leds 16.5 BW (2008) j type pickups
cocobolo alembic series 2 f+s red leds
status series II (1989)
jaydee mk cherry red (1987)
warwick thumb f/s/warwick logo in headstock blue simms leds
ashdown + trace amps
E
energy3542
Posted 16 years ago
La Bella Super Steps 40-60-80-100 on fretted basses
Hotwire Black Nylon 45-65-85-105 on fretless basses

I loved Trace Elliot tapered strings when they were available.:|
I feel extremely confortable with La Bella Super Steps as well, though. :p
E
energy3542
Posted 16 years ago
...ops, I didn't mean to state twice the same concept...I don't know what happened.;)
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
30 - 90's, been using that gauge for years, great for bending, and if its a good bass with good electronics, theres no loss of low end punch.
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
enzoenzo
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
30 - 90 all the way. Great for heavy slapper.

I recently tryed Status Hotwires and I liked them quite a bit.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
'13 Stealth
ReneRene
Posted 16 years ago
i use on both basses (statII and jaydee) status hotwires 30-90 they sound great and go a long way, although i sometimes find the responce a little low on the D while slapping....guess i have to slap a little harder:p

cheers Rene
King bass
Jay Dee super natural serie 2
trace elliot ah250
trace elliot 1048h cabinet
www.myspace.com/thisisatesrt
Edited by Rene on 03-04-2008 21:40, 16 years ago
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 16 years ago
I play 35-95 Hotwire Roundwound Roundcore on everything except my fretless, which has got 45-105 Hotwire halfwound on it, and my 4-string Buzzard, which has got 30-90 HRR on it.

I find the sound, feel and longevity of the Hotwires strings to be amazing! I've been playing them ever since I bought the Stealth and the 4-string Buzzard. I was an instant convert, they're now fitted on my Precision, Jazz, 4001, Westone Thunder 1A fretless, my soddin' Alembic :o and the Status basses :D
Edited by rogertvr on 05-04-2008 06:05, 16 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
45 to 105 for me.
thumperthumper
Posted 16 years ago
40-100 get my vote!:)
...be kind to each other...
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 16 years ago
On my KB-4-Bendwell I am using Elixir 040 but I prefer the D'Addario EXL220M (XL 40-95 Medium Scale). If I use 030, Hot Wire.

On my S2 6 string, Elixir 045 but I don't like them: too thick and tension too hard.
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Edited by Silent Fly on 11-05-2008 05:47, 16 years ago
D
daveski
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
It has to be 30-90s on my kingbasses and Empathy,i use the status hotwires and i think they are the bizz.

On my jazz bass i use roundwound elites 30 -90s they mark the fingerboard a bit but who cares.My dad bought it in '71 and used it professionally for 25 years it is epoxy coated and was recoated 5 years ago but is still in not bad nick and they are there to be played after all if we use these instruments for what they were intended then they will never remain MINT anyway...
@
@mikepbass
Veteran Member
Posted 16 years ago
Very true Dave. Make the best out of life and use the bass you love the most whether or not it gets scratched etc.

I tend to use 30-90 Status hotwires which are really good, however, the 35-95 hotwires tend to last a bit longer.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator