Graphic heads

Last updated on 17 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
Hi Guys

As my old Trace gear is starting to see the winter of it's life on the road...(Ahh!)... I've been trying various Amp and Cab combinations.... I've come to the conclusion that I really like the Graphic eq over the parametric's i've tried, and i've tried most (the Aguillar was sex!) So I'm looking for a graphic head... preferable with at least 11 bands... now i've tried Ashdown and to be honest, I hated it... nothing against them but just wasn't my thing... the head was ok but the build was a bit flimsy for my taste...

So any other suggestions?

Mr P
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
stenobassstenobass
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
I can fully confirm what FunkyBassMan says. I have been using TE for years too, but when this EBS stuff came along....
Ciao!
Stefano
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I hear nothing but good said about the Phil Jones bass amplification, though I've never had the money to try one myself!

Bass Gallery in London keeps them though, so you might be able to try them there.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I'm a die hard Trace fan I guess and love the graphic. I use parametrics all the time on recording consoles and such but prefer the graphic for my bass rig. Anyway I'm sure I'll buy another one now that Trace Elliot is back in business with an updated range.
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

Steve wrote:
I hear nothing but good said about the Phil Jones bass amplification, though I've never had the money to try one myself!

Bass Gallery in London keeps them though, so you might be able to try them there.

I've tried several of these and they've all been absolute Twonk..... Expensive..... No bottom end.....

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

RobJ wrote:
I'm a die hard Trace fan I guess and love the graphic. I use parametrics all the time on recording consoles and such but prefer the graphic for my bass rig. Anyway I'm sure I'll buy another one now that Trace Elliot is back in business with an updated range.

Unfortunately I've tried the new Trace stuff too.... The cabs are really good but the build quality of the heads leaves a lot to be desired... very plastic like.... nothing like the old Trace stuff.

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
bibbib
Posted 18 years ago
if you like bottom end, you need to try an ampeg!!!!

i'm playing an SVT 2 pro and 8x10 cab, sound perfect!!!! with all basses...

did you try EDEN AMPS? great amps, prices ok...

EBS FAFNER sounds good as well
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago

misterpink wrote:
[quote]
Unfortunately I've tried the new Trace stuff too.... The cabs are really good but the build quality of the heads leaves a lot to be desired... very plastic like.... nothing like the old Trace stuff.

I really didn't want to hear that. :(

Thanks for sharing your observations Misterpink.
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

bib wrote:
if you like bottom end, you need to try an ampeg!!!!

i'm playing an SVT 2 pro and 8x10 cab, sound perfect!!!! with all basses...

did you try EDEN AMPS? great amps, prices ok...

EBS FAFNER sounds good as well

I agree the Ampeg is good.... I had an ampeg rig recently which I had used for about 6 months... great bottom end... but it does tend to have that Ampeg sound... and not enough Mid variation for my taste.... so it had to go... good workhorse rig though... bloody loud!!

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
bibbib
Posted 18 years ago
hey misterpink, witch model did you used?
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Even the Ashdown MK500 head ?
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I tried the Phil Jones amp through the full Dalek setup and to be honest it didn't blow me away. For the money it cost it really should have done! :o

The Markbass gear I have tried has been amazing and it is hard to believe such a big sound can come out of such a small box! No graphic though so may not be any good to you.

I agree with some of the comments above about EBS gear and having tried some I have to say I was well impressed. You may also want to try Epifani and Aguilar as they both do some great kit.

Get yourself over to the Bass Merchant, they normally have a good selection and don't mind you giving it a try.
RichRich
Posted 18 years ago
I know you like graphic heads, but I've got to echo bib's Eden plug. I love mine, and the parametric eq is more versatile than any graphic... mind you, it's such a good sounding amp that the eq on mine is totally flat! :D
I'm not some sort of drug-taking alcoholic git.
I'm just a git.
GothGoth
Posted 17 years ago
Why don't you choose a good head and use an external graphic eq.? ;)
rogertvrrogertvr
Posted 17 years ago
Goth took the words out of my mouth...

I've got an old (20 years old) TE AH250 head with the 11 band graphic in it. I don't use the graphic on it now and haven't for the last two or three years. I have an external 31 band graphic which I much prefer. So it's just a power amp now really although I do still use the pre-shape function on it.

That raises another question - the pre-shape function. I've never had that on any other bass amp I've owned, why did TE feel it necessary to fit it? Does anyone know?

As for parametrics - I've never been able to get along with those things!
GothGoth
Posted 17 years ago
I guess that it's a sort of EQ. pre-shaped. Nothing more and nothing less. I.E. something I would never want on a bass head :D
MertonMerton
Posted 17 years ago

rogertvr wrote:
That raises another question - the pre-shape function. I've never had that on any other bass amp I've owned, why did TE feel it necessary to fit it? Does anyone know?

You'll have had similar buttons though, things like "Contour" or "Shape" or "mid cut" and so on - lots of different names for essentially the same idea, a little EQ shaping at the touch of a button! They may not all be smiley face (mid cut) like the Trace but they all have one function which is to provide an instantaneous shift in your tone or a place to start from. All good fun - I'm lazy and use these sorts of buttons before going anywhere near the graphic EQ section on amps. :)

Examples? Peavey TNT combos certainly have 'em, Ashdown ABMs have a "shape/flat" button, Ampegs have a 3/4/5 way selector switch with different EQ voicings and I *think* SWRs do too (tho please correct me if I'm wrong!)
www.bitd.co.uk
merton.bitd.co.uk
Retroactive J / Ashdown amplification and BarefacedBass cabs
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator