Bass FX

Last updated on 17 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
Guys...

just a topic of conversation for today..... What FX are you guys using mostly on your bass rig??

Mr P
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I usually have clean signal for live performances and just use the on board pre-amp to vary the sound.

For home practice I have a Zoom BFX708 and use headphones with it. The drum programme which has variable tempo and styles is very useful. Very cheap and easy to use.
Paul_CPaul_C
Posted 18 years ago
I've got a Lexicon MPX G2, but I've not spent long enough with it to use it a huge amount yet.

P.
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
My full rig includes a Bass Pod Pro, a Line 6 DL-4 delay, and a Boss OC-2 octaver.

My favorite effects include :
- octaver + distortion (+ optional envelope filter) with my fretless S1 : great synth-like sounds !
- huge infra-bass sounds from the Pod
- various filtered delays from the DL-4

I was using them with my former rock trio. I play now in a brand new trip-hop/electro-jazz band and use only natural bass-jack-amp sound for the moment :)
Edited by nivek on 19-06-2006 22:26, 18 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

nivek wrote:
My full rig includes a Bass Pod Pro, a Line 6 DL-4 delay, and a Boss OC-2 octaver.

My favorite effects include :
- octaver + distortion (+ optional envelope filter) with my fretless S2 : great synth-like sounds !
- huge infra-bass sounds from the Pod
- various filtered delays from the DL-4

I was using them with my former rock trio. I play now in a brand new trip-hop/electro-jazz band and use only natural bass-jack-amp sound for the moment :)

Very kool.... i like the sound of this!!!!!

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Unfortunately the BFX708 is no longer available hence I purchased the Zoom B2 which is available with or without the expression pedal. Link is here: http://www.samsontech.com/products/pr...&brandID=4

I also use an Aphex 204 Aural Exciter (www.aphex.com)
Edited by andre on 19-06-2006 21:53, 18 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I have heard very mixed reports about the Aural Exciter. Some rave about them while others have complained about them sucking the punch out of their bass signal. I would be interested to hear of other peoples experience with these.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Bass to amp with nothing in between. (Bar the very occasional use of a light chorus, Boss something pedal.)

Some more high/mid boosts on the EQ and some nice low end growl from the Sub-Harmonic generator.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I'm with Steve, I don't use effects much at all. I do have a very nice EBS chorus pedal, but it only gets used on recording projects once in a blue moon. I also have an Akai bass synth pedal that hasn't been out of the box in a long long time.

I do have an Aural Exciter that I bought then used once or twice before putting it in the cupboard. It did seem to neuter the tone of my bass no matter how I set it, anyway I don't use it.
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

RobJ wrote:
I'm with Steve, I don't use effects much at all. I do have a very nice EBS chorus pedal, but it only gets used on recording projects once in a blue moon. I also have an Akai bass synth pedal that hasn't been out of the box in a long long time.

I do have an Aural Exciter that I bought then used once or twice before putting it in the cupboard. It did seem to neuter the tone of my bass no matter how I set it, anyway I don't use it.

Does the Akai Bass Synth pedal sound authentic.... I'm trying to find a decent bass synth unit and am trying several different makes at the moment..

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
g4ui83tp2g4ui83tp2
Posted 18 years ago
For a rock/pop covers band I use the Boss ME 50B. Usually set up with slight 'natural' compression on and Bass Boost, slight 'natural' distortion, and Chorus set up on the three effects sections. Use these in various combinations depending on the number. Switch to Octave down in the Filter/Tone section on one number, and that's it at the moment. Seems to be simple and, I hope, effective.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
What is this ''Bass Synth'' you all speak of :|

Doesnt the... Synth player take care of that?
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Did some one mention Bass synth...
homepage.mac.com/editbox/bassworld/g77.jpg
My Trusty Roland G-77 :o
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
MattheusMattheus
Posted 18 years ago
Hey,
that's a real cool one!!!! How does it play? And how is the triggering?

In the past I've used a Boss Synth pedal. It worked well, but is was always a bit slow on the triggering. You had to play very 'precise' to give a good triggering. It's a cool effect to play some synthy bass on a normal (or Status)-bass.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
:D

That vaguely resembles the Basslab L-Bow range :O
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
The Akai Deep Impact bass synth pedal sounds pretty good actually. It's an analog device and does a very decent job of sounding like a keyboard synth bass, it's great for what it does and tracks pretty well too. The cleaner the notes the better it tracks, and it only works well with single notes, throw in a chord or double stop and there's no telling what you will hear.
Akai doesn't make this unit anymore and some used prices I've seen have been over $400 US, so they are obviously in demand. The original price was in the neighborhood of $200 US.
MalcMalc
Posted 18 years ago
I have a Zoom 506 but it's only really used as a tuner for gigs. My band has 2 guitarists and I find adding FX tends to muddy the overall sound too much. (We did one gig with only one guitar and I did start to use a bit of chorus and octaver to thicken things up a bit.)

Usually it's straight through the Trace, using the compressor but with the graphic disabled and EQ controlled from the Status preamp.
bibbib
Posted 18 years ago
i don't use fx at all, bass+ amp... if i need overdrive, i simply set the gain to max...

i did use a big bottom pedal from aphex (aural exciter) on tour, but only because the amp the prod gave me was a horrible hartke head and cab... so it gave me a little bit of good sound... but with my ampeg rig, no use for...

i do have a electro harmonix synth bass pedal that sounds very organic, very real, but not easy to include in a song....

I HATE HARTKE SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!:@
bibbib
Posted 18 years ago
sorry two time same post...:(
Edited by bib on 22-06-2006 00:42, 18 years ago
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago

Steve wrote:
What is this ''Bass Synth'' you all speak of :|

Doesnt the... Synth player take care of that?

Would you leave the holy role of handling a bassline to a keyboardist ? :o ;)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator