Boss ME-50B

Last updated on 18 years ago
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
Thinking about buying one of these.... any of you guys tried or own one.... wanna get some feedeback.

CheersB)
You do not have access to view attachments
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Hi misterpink, I can help you with a Zoom B2 bass effects pedal but not with a ME-50B (see http://www.samsontech.com/products/pr...&brandID=4)
Edited by andre on 19-06-2006 04:34, 18 years ago
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
*Mutters* Effects indeed!
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
senmensenmen
Posted 18 years ago
Hey Misterpink,
I do own a Boss ME-50B and I like it really much. The tonal abilities are really great. I use it mainly as a poor mans bi-amping as I need a John Entwistle sound without having a huge bi-amping rig. All the effects are great, but for me the so-called hiband drive is really fantastic. This is that you can run distortion only on the highs while the bass frequencies are more or less clean.
BTW very JE untypical, I use an Eden rig with the Boss device. Normally an Eden rig is not the one for JE sound but as its base sound is really clean you can all all the distortion, delay, chorus or whatever you want from the Boss.
Oliver
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

Steve wrote:

Purist!!!!

hehe
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago
Thanks for the info Oliver..... I used to run a bi-amp GK (Gallien-Krueger) rig and that was a great sound too.... Sounds like this might be the right unit for me.... just one other thing... can you get a decent Synth Bass sound from the unit at all???

MrP

senmen wrote:
Hey Misterpink,
I do own a Boss ME-50B and I like it really much. The tonal abilities are really great. I use it mainly as a poor mans bi-amping as I need a John Entwistle sound without having a huge bi-amping rig. All the effects are great, but for me the so-called hiband drive is really fantastic. This is that you can run distortion only on the highs while the bass frequencies are more or less clean.
BTW very JE untypical, I use an Eden rig with the Boss device. Normally an Eden rig is not the one for JE sound but as its base sound is really clean you can all all the distortion, delay, chorus or whatever you want from the Boss.
Oliver
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

andre wrote:
Hi misterpink, I can help you with a Zoom B2 bass effects pedal but not with a ME-50B (see http://www.samsontech.com/products/pr...&brandID=4)

Thanks but I tried the zoom and wasn't that struck with it.... cheers anyway

MrP
senmensenmen
Posted 18 years ago
MisterPink,
yep you can also get two or three different synth sounds but I must say that I never used them yet.
Oliver
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago

misterpink wrote:

Steve wrote:

Purist!!!!

hehe

:D
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

senmen wrote:
MisterPink,
yep you can also get two or three different synth sounds but I must say that I never used them yet.
Oliver

Would you say that they are ' useable ' though... some synth bass effects are pants...
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
senmensenmen
Posted 18 years ago
Yep, I would say.
But you know, your taste might be different than mine.
But all in all, for the money, the Boss is really a great machine.
I also use very much the volume pedal....

Oliver
MisterpinkMisterpink
Veteran Member
Posted 18 years ago

senmen wrote:
Yep, I would say.
But you know, your taste might be different than mine.
But all in all, for the money, the Boss is really a great machine.
I also use very much the volume pedal....

Oliver

Cheers.... think that's made my mind up....
Essex..... Home of the Bass!!!!

UK Award Winning Wedding/Function Band:www.5catfish.com

HOT SAUCE Disco/Funk/Rare Groove covers band:www.HotSauceDisco.com

Sponsors
www.k-array.com/
www.gallien-krueger.com
www.purple-chili.com
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/crez5150/JayCramphorneavt.jpg
senmensenmen
Posted 18 years ago
As said, it is a nice mean machine.
In combination with the Eden I also get feedback out of this.
I know I know, we are talking bass here but. JE was bass guitarist and as I am the bass
guitarist for the only german WHO tribute band I have to play mean too.... :-)

Oliver
www.whoareyouband.de
g4ui83tp2g4ui83tp2
Posted 18 years ago
Hi, sorry to come in so late to this thread. Some very subjective views from my experience.
I've been using a BOSS ME 50B for live work for about a year. Now playing a SmartBass 4 string (passive, two soapbars) through SWR SM900 to Epifani 210UL and 115UL.
I have found this unit really useable.
The controls are really simple, especially for live use (no menus or modes). The range of effects is wide and simple to adjust on the fly. I have found the quality of sound quite adequate for my needs. I have used a Lexicon MPX G2 which although wonderfully flexible was actually far more complex than I needed, and put in front of the pre-amp as I use effects, the ME 50B produces as good a quality of effect sounds for live use.
I find the compression very useable. Only slight draw back is that this is not switchable by foot. The other three sound sections are all switchable by foot and user effect combinations (including compression) can be stored in banks of three.
Even if the unit is reset you can get at useable sounds really quickly. The whole unit is much more like a selection of stomp boxes in a single module.
The effects pedal doubles as a volume pedal - really useful with the SWR SM900 which has no mute switch!
Elementary short looping possible. Kick drum emulation very useful as metronome in practice and rehearsal.
I also use the unit for silent practice and playing along to tracks (just plug in an iPod and ear phones and you're away. No more grumpy neighbours (or wives!)
If you're not into really hi-fi playing or professional level recording I think this is a very good unit at a remarkable price.
Hope this helps. Nick
M
mulletsrokk
Posted 18 years ago
I've never been able to get decent synth tracking with my ME-50B. It does give a good sound, but can be unpredicable... the resonance seems to vary a bit randomly for my liking. Otherwise its an excellent pedal. Easy to use etc.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator