Poll Discussion: Strings...

Last updated on 16 years ago
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I thought that to go with the Members Poll, we should have an accompaying thread.

I use usualy I use DR 30 hi beams, I have some Elixir 40 Nanoweb to try out, but haven got round to puting them on the king bass.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
I usually use Hotwire Premium Round Core 35-95's (double-ball on the headless basses)
Edited by andre on 02-06-2006 00:14, 18 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I use Elixir Nanowebs and haven't found another string that can touch them on a fretted bass.
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Would is be these ones Status ?
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalo...ductId=582
Not cheap but reviews are great!
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
I use Labella SuperSteps on my Leduc 6 strings, D'Addario XL on my fretless Status. (and a Ken Smith piccolo set on my Patrice Blanc)
Edited by nivek on 02-06-2006 02:59, 18 years ago
Paul_CPaul_C
Posted 18 years ago
mostly Rotosound Funkmaster 30-90s (though the Stealth 4 has Status Hot Wire 30-90s on it at the moment)

P.
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago

andre wrote:
Would is be these ones Status ?
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalo...ductId=582
Not cheap but reviews are great!

Yep, that's the ones. Not cheap but the ones on my Empathy have been on there for a coiuple of years now and still no sign of them needing a change. :o The lifespan makes them excellent value for money, in my opinion of course.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Dear me, £30 a set!

André - are the round cores much different to the hex core? Coming near the end of my last 'bulk order' from Status, looking at the round premiums as a posibility.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Well Steve in my opinion the round premiums will last longer and have more of a "twang" which I like for slapping - You should try some as I will go and buy a set of Nanowebs (although it seems that their ultra-lights are actually 40's)
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
When I had my re-fret done, Mike Lull put on a set of his nickle plated SS round wounds (45 - 105) and I really like them, especially at $22 US per set. I had been searching for strings more to my liking than what I'd been using, and I think I'm going to stick with these for awhile on my Eclipse.

Interesting information on the Nanowebs, Status. I happen to have a set still in the pack at home. Someone gave them to me at Christmas a few years back and I've never used them. Now that I think about it, maybe the gauge isn't quite to my liking. Anyway, I may try them on my T-Bass as I'm down to a few sets of TE strings.
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
If this hasn't been done already, I was thinking maybe a related poll on string gauge preferences? My perception is that a lot of Status players tend towards lighter gauge stirings (based on various posts throughout the forum where strings have been mentioned). I could well be way off the mark here, but a poll would likely set me right on this.;)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
40 - 100s for me. Except on my fretless as they have a black plastic coating and are much heavier gauge as a result.
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I go for 30s if i can, if not 40s
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
30s are what; 30 to 90 on a 4 string set?
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Dr HiBeam Stainless Steel, 30 50 70 90 apparently
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
35-95 or 40-100 here
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
rologicarologica
Posted 18 years ago
I like the DR Fat Beams very much, but they are twice the price of the Hotwire roundwounds and are almost the same. So I will soon order a new batch through the Status website!!
chuckamok63chuckamok63
Posted 18 years ago
The DRs have a mid rangey tone that you don't notice until you've used the Hotwires...not a bad thing, just different. The cores are less flexible than Hotwires but not a whole lot. The core shape has alot to do with it.
I was an avid DR user til I got my first Hotwires and now I use them on most all of my basses (spare things like Hofners) They really liven up the sound of old passive basses(like my old T-Bird)
Labella strings have always felt too stiff for me, but it's all a matter of taste.
Cheers,
C
Chamelea
Posted 18 years ago
Used to use 30-90's on a Fender Jazz, but after a while got frustrated as they didnt seem to cut through the mix.
At the moment using 40-100's on the KingBass and 40-125's on the S2.
Any KingBass players notice a difference between 40-100's and 30-90's other than ease of playing?
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I played DRs for many years and just tired of them I guess. DRs are also spendy but they do hold their tone pretty well so I didn't have to change them that often. I would like to try out the Hotwires though, I get the impression they are a very good string.

I suspect I am in the minority here with my old standard 45 - 105 sets. :D I have to fess up to the fact that i've never tried lesser gauge strings on any of my basses, mostly because I've never felt the need to I suppose.
Edited by RobJ on 07-06-2006 05:22, 18 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator