Bass on "The Early Tapes" ?

Last updated on 9 years ago
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 15 years ago
:D:D:D:D:D!!
Posted 14 years ago
Hi All,

I thought I might be able to chip in on this one. I'm currently writing 'The Mark King Bass Book' for Bassline Publishing (my company) and have been writing a ridiculously detailed bassography section. I interviewed Mark last week and he supplied some great answers...

The bass on 'Love Meeting Love' was a Hayman 4040. Mark had been using a Gibson EB2 up to this point, but because it had such a bad earth hum, the engineer asked him to use the studio bass - the Hayman. The neck pickup had no screws, and so jumped up to the strings if he leant forward. Mark says he only used the Hayman for this song, not Wings of Love.

After LML was recorded and released, 42 were signed by ATV publishing and given the £5K advance. Mark bought his Jaydee, and the band recorded the rest of what would become the Early Tapes.

So there!

Stu
D
dafonky
Posted 9 years ago
Just discovered this thread....I thought The JayDee Ser. 004 A was the first one MK bought....with the 5k advance , I have an article " One Two Testing" with a photo showing MK holding this bass which he gave away at a Charity Event in 1986 or so.....
Its the bass which he plays in the "Out of Sight, Out of Mind " video.....
Garbo28Garbo28
Posted 9 years ago
Mark Still has the original JD he bought with his advance and shows it off here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-MymEMCyyc

There is also a page on the JD website with pictures when he last returned it for a service: http://www.jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/original_mark_king_supernatural_classic_series_1.html
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
[movie=youtube]q-MymEMCyyc[/movie]
A
alexcar6677
Posted 9 years ago
Sounds like album was remixed and the JD put on after they got signed, unless anyone has a copy of the un doctored Strategy album
KB Para S2 CH headless
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 9 years ago
Ahh the mystery of the strategy album! The holy grail of the elite label. I once knew a guy who had it and asked him to put it on a cassestte for me, he did. It's not really different from the early tapes, I think Elite or Andy Soyka sold the masters to Polydor I guess?? I think the track running order may have been different and there might... if I recall be one different track on there, can't remember clearly...The tape got mangled in about 1990:D lost contact with the guy that had it!! Here in the story ends.

I did hear Mark mention that Hayman in previous interviews though. By the way I still have my Elite label 12" version of LML!!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator