Upgrade of active circuit

Last updated on 18 years ago
enduraendura
Posted 18 years ago
I wondered myself if it is possible to upgrade the active circuit of my S1 from the Board 100 to the Board 300 of the current S2.

Has anybody done this? What would you expect how much the costs are?

At first: Do you think this is possible? An additional upgrade to 18 V would be nice, too... ;)
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
In theory yes, it is possible.
New holes would need to be drilled for the additional controls though.
Pickups should be the same though, so no worries there.

What Voltage do the S1's work on if not 18v?
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
The drilling of new holes could be an issue unless the existing holes line up exactly with the holes from the old board. Your bass could end up looking like a Swiss cheese!

A couple of options are an Aguillar OBP-3 or a U-Retro. Both are superb pre-amps and the way each is wired means you could use the existing holes and add new ones to fit in with these. I know Trev (G-77) fitted an Aguilar in his Series 3000 and was very happy with the end result. I have also fitted one in an Energy and it was much better afterwards.

I used to have a Jazz bass with a J-Retro and it is a wonderfully flexible pre-amp. The same pre-amp is used in the U-Retro but it is not Jazz plate mounted.

Keep us posted as the project progresses, with pictures if possible.
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
I asked Rob about that kind of upgrade for my own S1 / Board 100 (operates with 1 9v battery), here is his answer :

Hi Kevin,
The Board 301 will fit... you need to drill more holes... but you also need an extra battery box as the circuit only really works well running on 18 volts. If you know someone who can route the body for the extra battery box, fitting the circuit is not a big problem.
You can buy all the parts directly through our web-site.

Best regards, Rob Green.

Board 300/301 seem to have the same pot layout as Board 100 :
www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/image/parts/board100.jpg

www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/image/parts/board300.jpg

3 holes seem to be necessary : 1 for the switch, 2 for pots.
Edited by nivek on 19-05-2006 02:56, 18 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Well if you can fit a board 301 without having spare holes I recommend it. It is an excellent pre-amp.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Regarding getting the pots to line up with existing holes, there is no reason why you cant desolder the pots and put them on flying leads to overcome this; Then just make the new holes as required.
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

enduraendura
Posted 18 years ago
Looks like it is easy, considering Robs answer. But how would I know where to drill the holes and how to work on the battery housing???

Hmmmm.

Seems like I have to ask at Status directly. I don' want my 'Baby' to be drilled like a Swiss Chesse without knowledge and I don't want to make any trial and error stuff.

Maybe I can send Status only the body? Or would it harm the warramty? Taking the neck off is easy to do I presume.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
If it's a bolt-on, then yes removal is very easy (as long as you dont have LED's in the neck, there would be associated wires if that was the case)
Best idea would be to email or phone Status themselves about this, though I cant see taking the neck off would void the warrenty
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

enduraendura
Posted 18 years ago
Yes, I think writing them is the best idea. (My spoken English is rather bad.. ;) )

Then I will know if the upgrade will be worth the money or not.

But thank you for your thoughts anyway!!!
I apreciate it!
:)
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
As Chris said, I put an OBP3 in my series 3000 & it made a huge difference. I had to drill an extra hole which was a bit scary but apart from that i all went well. My bass had room for 2x9v batteries.

If you dont want to drill the extra holes in your bass, you can configure the OPB3 to work with 3 pots. This would be stacked volume/volume - mid/with pull Mid freq selector switch - stacked Bass/Treble. & have it run on 9v.

If you are not keen on soldering BestBassGear offer a pre wired service for an additional $40usd, Though the above configuration isnt standard so you would have to talk to the about it first. But they did suggest that was the way to do it when I enquired about the opb3 with 3 pots
http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-o...preamp.htm

here are some of the standard wiring options
http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support...g_obp3.pdf
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
Edited by G-77 on 19-05-2006 08:53, 18 years ago
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Before
homepage.mac.com/editbox/images/statii/status/status_01.jpg
After
homepage.mac.com/editbox/images/statii/status/status_04.jpg
homepage.mac.com/editbox/images/statii/status/status_05.jpg
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
Edited by G-77 on 19-05-2006 08:58, 18 years ago
enduraendura
Posted 18 years ago
The Aguilar seems to be very interesting. I think I have to have a look on this in more detail. Maybe I can fit one without having the need to drill holes. Maybe I could use stacked Treble/Bass pot and one stacked Volume/Blend pot...

Thank you for all your help! I think this is the best way to go.

BTW: Does the Aguilar make any noise? Or is it rather quiet?
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
The one I had was very, very quiet.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator