Smart Bass questions

Last updated on 18 years ago
K
krazy_olie
Posted 18 years ago
Hello all it's krazy_olie from bassworld, got some quiestions for the status boffs so I thought here would be a good place to ask.

First, What profile is the smart bass neck? generally not too fussy but prefer a jazz style neck

Second, Are all the pickups passive? and what you recommend to compliment the neck? Looking for quite a midrangey sort of thick jazz bass sound with solid lows and present but not particularly zingy highs (MM/J?). Would this even be possible with just the MM or a single soapbar given the added highs from the graphite?

I should be getting a new bass in the summer and a passive smart bass, certainly a 1 pickup model but probably 2 also, would fit in to my price range.

Cheers in advance, Olie
Edited by krazy_olie on 12-05-2006 03:23, 18 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Hi Olie and welcome to Statii.

The Smartbass offers a massive range of options so it can be hard to chose which ones to go for. As you want a warm sound you are probably better off with a mahogany body. Pickups wise they are passive but can be paired up with a wide variety of active pre-amps or indeed left passive. If you like the jazz bass sound why not 2 jazz pickups? Alternatively a Jazz with a MM would provide quite a range.

The 3 band with mid freq eq set up is excellent and that with one of the pickup combinations detailed above will give a massive tonal range. B)

If in doubt give Rob Green a ring and tell him what you are after. I am sure he will be happy to help.

Keep us posted with progress and let us see some pictures when you get it!

Cheers

Chris.
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Hi Olie and welcome to Statii.com!

I often play jazz lines and use my Smartbass quite a bit for that.

Although fitted with a single soap bar pickup and a 3-band EQ (always active) if I put treble to zero, medium to 25% and bass to 100% the results are pretty impressive. Meanwhile the graphite neck is very comfortable as compared to a pure Jazz. Mine has a mahogany body as you can see from the picture which tends to produce a very rich and warm sound as stated by Status (the man not the bass) above.

www.andresimha.com/music/my_basses/smartbass/andre_smartbass.jpg
K
krazy_olie
Posted 18 years ago
Cheers guys, mahogony was the wood I was leaning based on my previous experiences with it, and I certainly like the look of that grain. Good to know that the single soapbar produces good results and that the neck is comparable to a jazz neck. Definately can't afford an EQ but my amp has a ver versatile 5 band EQ with vari mids so I could manage until I can afford one seperately at a later date.

Will probably head down to the bass gallery at some point to try out a graphite neck.

Thanks again, Olie
K
krazy_olie
Posted 18 years ago
Doe anyone know if the Status MM pickup can be coil tapped?

Cheers, Olie
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
That's probably one for Rob.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator