A bit of a dilemma

Last updated on 18 years ago
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
After having repeated problems trying to setup my Eclipse to my liking, (I had the loose string spacer repaired by a guitar luthier but didn't have him do a complete setup) I took my bass in to Mike Lull. Mike is well known for his custom basses, repair and setup work; his customer list has some very impressive names on it and he has an excellent reputation locally.

Now the bad news; Mike called to tell me the reason I couldn't get the action down where I wanted it, and why he couldn't do it either, is that there is a hump in the fretboard down around the 20th or so fret. Mike said this isn't all that uncommon and he sees it from time to time on just about all makes of bass with wooden necks. Unfortunately the repair he's suggesting is a full refret. I asked about a partial from say the 12th fret and up and Mike said he wouldn't do it as he wouldn't be able to re-shape the fretboard radius all the way up as needed and in his estimation wouldn't play as well as it could without a full refret. I suggested maybe dressing the frets and Mike said because of the severity of the hump and the low profile frets it wouldn't be worth the cost or effort.

So my friends, I'd like your input on which way to go here. My two choices are: Have Mike do the work, est. cost: $500 US plus. Buy a graphite neck from Rob, est. cost: US. $500 US plus shipping and ins.(I'm making the big assumption here that Rob even has a neck that fits my bass to sell). There would also be roughly another $100 in setup fees for the bass once I have the new neck I recon.

What do you guys think? Which way should I go?

RobJ :(
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
The graphite neck could change the tone you get from the bass; but the inherent stability would probably mean you'd never have any problems again.
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall a thread a while back where Andre bought an Eclipse graphite neck - so they should be available.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Hi RobJ, actually I changed the neck on an Energy 5 string from wood (damaged) to graphite. Living outside of the UK, I basically had the same dilemna as you have but I decided to send it off to Rob and the result was amazing. Cost was roughly 500$ + shipping (both ways) as you state above. You would probably same quite a bit by asking Rob for a neck and having it fitted back in the US.
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I would go for the graphite replacement neck. i accept it may alter the tone but the added stability would make that worthwhile. It would also be likely to add to the resale value of the bass. I am sure Rob would be able to sort you out a graphite neck if you let him have the bass back to work with.

Just my opinion which I accept may not accord with everyone elses.
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
We all put our trust in the good Lord Rob. His hands are 'safe'!

He knows things we cannot comprehend!

makes a damn fine bass too!!

:D

basically, if you take the 'send it back to Rob' option, you really can't go wrong. other options might be a tad cheaper but there is more chance of having an unexpected 'issue' arrise!!!

;)

I would go the guaranteed route with Rob

but hey, what do i know?

Actually i know how to incapacitate someone 7 different ways with a shoe lace... mostly it involves putting the shoe lace on a big boot and kicking them a lot!!!

:o
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Just noticed a Status Jazz neck for sale on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...7413567156
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Thanks for the input gang. After reading your thoughts I'm thinking the smart thing to do is see about buying a new graphite neck from Rob. It does sound like I may need to send the bass back to him to have a new neck fitted to the body? I was thinking, perhaps erroneously, that I could just have the new neck delivered, bolt it to the body, install my existing tuning machines and strings and pretty much be good to go other than setting intonation and action. Would it be best to send it back?

I know 9 different ways to incapacitate someone with a shoe lace Mr. Moo.:D But I digress.....

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys, I really do value your input and this website.It, and you, really are fantastic resource for all things Statii.

RobJ
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
It is most certainly best to send the whole bass back with your shopping list for parts. I am sure Rob will do a great job with it and return it better than ever. :D
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Again, thanks for the input. I've been emailing back and forth between Rob and Mike Lull and it seems there is a little more involved in installing the graphite neck than I realized. The neck pocket on the body will need to be enlarged slightly to accomodate the larger neck so I either send the bass back or hire someone locally to modify the pocket, so the costs are adding up. At this point I'm not sure what route to take, new neck vs complete refret.

So yes Status, the best thing to do is send the bass back to the factory if I choose to have the graphite neck installed.

As an aside I did get the bass back yesterday after Mike gave it his best shot on the setup and action. While it's much better than it was it's still not nearly where I want it to be so living with it is not an option.
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
9 ways huh Rob!!!

:o

show off

:@

P.S. What colour are the laces??
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
hehe.. still pushing up your post numbers eh Mr. Moo? :D

I suppose I prefer the white ones on my tennies but I must admit they look funny on a big pair of boots.:p
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
I thought I'd update this thread (if for no other reason than to push up my post count in a frail attempt to catch up to Mr. Moo's ever expanding numbers). ;)

I decided to have Mike refret my Eclipse. It was a tough decision to make really but when I added up the columns it was the logical choice. The costs of shipping and insuring my bass to and from Rob, plus the graphite neck and neck pocket mods costs totalled to much more than I paid for the bass (I more or less stole it from a guy on EBay but this would nearly triple that amount). Also, Mike significantly lowered his price as well as subtracted the money I'd paid for the setup, and new strings. Mike is confident, and so am I, that my bass will play exactly how I want it when he's finished with his work.

I'm putting the money I'm saving into my piggy bank towards a new Status, probably a headed Stealth or a B2. :D

RobJ

SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Good to hear you're getting sorted out anyway :)
Shame living over there in that respect I guess, even postage from Northern Ireland is ridiculously expensive!
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Thanks Steve, I'll post again once the work is completed and I've had time to put the bass through its paces. :D
It's goind to take a week to 10 days before I get my bass back I'm told.

Yes, postage is very expensive and I really am envious of those living close to my fav bass and amp companies; Status and Trace Elliot.
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Let us know how it plays when you get it back. Bet you can't wait!
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Welcome back Mr. Status, I will.

Mike called this morning at 8 to discuss fret size options, he'd already begun work on the neck and plans to have it ready for me by mid next week. You are correct, I can't wait. I'm sure it will play great when Mike's done with it, I have played basses he's worked on and they were first rate. :D
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
:o:o Mike called me on my mobile while I was on my way home to tell me he had finished my bass.:o:o

Man that was quick, he told me he got into it this morning just before he called and couldn't put it down.:D He said it plays "fantastic, you are going to love it now" so I am really jazzed. The bad news is I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up, so I'm sure I will have a restless night.

More tomorrow.. I can hardly wait.:)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
How cool is that! B)

Maybe Mike will now be bitten by the Status bug.
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
My Eclipse Artist is now home and happy, and I am too. Very. :D

Mike does excellent work indeed. My Eclipse plays beautifully now, it's perfect, every note is there clear as a bell with lovely piano like tones and the action rivals that of my '72 Rickenbacker (which is the gold standard for playability in my house). I couldn't be more pleased. I feel that now my Eclipse lives up to its potential as a Status, it's like I brought home a brand new bass. :)

I need to take it back to Mike in about a month so he can give it the final tune-up once things have settled in.

Sorry for the long rambling post but I feel like a kid at Christmas right now who can't put his new gift down. I couldn't be happier about how all this worry turned out. :D
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Hehe - lets see some pics then (if you ever put it down to take some, that is)
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator