my status won't play anymore...

Last updated on 18 years ago
olemagnarolemagnar
Posted 18 years ago
My son and I are sharing a status bass for several years.
One evening he was doing rehersals with his band, for a gig, and after he had finished, I was going to practice with my band.
He playd the bass until I came to pick it up.
I drove ten minutes to my rehersal location, plugged in, and.....not a sound.!!!
I have tried to replace the volume pot.
But that did not do the job.
Can it be the jack outlet from the bass...?
Have anybody experienced similar things with status basses, or other basses for that matter...?
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Replacing the jack plug would be my best guess (I assume you've tested with another instrument lead, new batteries, etc)
They can sometimes become loose internally (one of my older basses stopped working because of this).

Or if you dont want to replace it, just touch the tip of your jack lead to the signal wire coming out of your preamp board.

Whats the bass?
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
it could be the batteries, mine went 1/2 way through a rehearsal, & the bass just fizzed out in 30 seconds.

Stupid question but you didnt change you jack lead to one with a stereo jack on it? as that will stop the active circuit working.

I did have a wire come away from a switch on my Wal once.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
olemagnarolemagnar
Posted 18 years ago
thank you Steve, for your kind response.
I understand that you are trying to explain to me, how to bypass the jack outlet, in order to find out if the failure is in the jack socket.
I tried to touch the +marked point on the circuit board, with the signal cable conected to my amp. This creates a noice similar to when I touch the tip of the cable with my fingers whith the cable connected to the amp., and the amp turned on.
I think I should consider asking a technical gifted friend with a multimeter, to try to approach this problem in a more sofisticated way than I am able to.....
I am living on the countyside, so it is not easy to get proffessional help on these matters.
I love playing my status, but I hate it when it's not working!
It has been a pleasure in very many years, and I hope I will be able to solve this, so we can get back in business, me and my bass.
I am not quite sure what bass I have....
But I think it is from the 2000 series. There is no such information written on it, and it is many years old, and I don't know where I put the documents which followed the bass when I bought it....
5 string, bolt on neck, bright switch, bass boost, treble boost, volume control and balance control between pickups.
Tried to take a picture of it with my mobile, but too bad quality.
Will try to take a picture later with a digital camera.
olemagnarolemagnar
Posted 18 years ago
Thank you G-77.
I have tried to replace the battery.
And no, it is not a stereo jack cable ;)
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Have you suddenly gone deaf??

:o

it happened to my grandfather a few years ago... just about the same time he had a heart attack and died!!

deaf as a post!

feel free to hurl abuse at me right now!!!

:)
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
No, the + sign would be the power pad from the battery - not good for your amp at all :P
If you take the back plate off, follow the wires coming from the back of the jack socket to where they connect to the board. One of these will be the signal output. The other will be earth (and should either make no noise, or hum)
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

olemagnarolemagnar
Posted 18 years ago
Thank you again Steve.
I'll try to work some more during the weekend.
I'll keep you posted.:)
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
given that its an older bass, have you checked the battery connector for corrosion? Its a bit of a long shot, but could you post a photo of the wiring in the cavity, maybe it might help us problem solve.

Trev.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
LOL @ Mr. Moo.... :D

Ok ok.. I'll quit encouraging him.;)

I've had a pickup go open before, obviously not likely to happen to both pickups at the same time but if your bass has a single pickup you may want to break out the DMM and test across the pickup leads for measurable resistance to eliminate that possibility.
olemagnarolemagnar
Posted 18 years ago
Case closed.
I replaced the whole complete circuit board, and voila, the bass is playing beautiful again. :p
By the way: My son has bought his own bass. A real beauty.
Graphite neck through body. 5 string. Empathy.
Modified with Bartolini electronics, 2x9V, but still with the unbeatable action and playability of a real Status.
Wait until you see pictures.....
So now we have two perfectly working Status basses.
Family life is changing from deep sorrow to pure happyness within a few weeks...:D
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Hehe - Good to hear :)
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted

You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator