Lefty plays Righty

Last updated on 14 years ago
hazb74hazb74
Posted 16 years ago
I just noticed the Lefty Forum...... we left handers rule. Although statistically we die sooner and are stressed out more, we are more creative (Rob must be a lefty in disguise) and slightly more intelligent. At least I'd like to think so......:D

Still on to my main point, I am a left who plays righty...... when I started I borrowed a right handed bass and just went and stayed with it. I also play golf and cricket right handed, but tennis left handed. STRANGE!!!!!!!

I am wondering if there are any others like myself out there......????!!!
rgds, Harry AKA Sarcastic Bastard

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
'06 Status/Musicman Stingray 5
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Amp
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
andreandre
Admin
Posted 16 years ago
Well actually I am a lefty and play bass and guitar with my right hand! Maybe we are related ???? ;)
B
bassbus
Fusioneer
Posted 16 years ago
Afence taken! ;) Time I got off it as well. :|
hazb74hazb74
Posted 16 years ago

GuitarRebel wrote:
Sometimes strange is good.
I'm also a lefty who plays righty, but for a different reason. When I was a lad, left handed guitars were scarce, and when you could find one, they cost a small fortune. I've always considered it an advantage. It blows peoples minds if I flip mine over and start playing upside down left handed.
And I totally understand your lefty comments. However, it's best we keep it low key. We are part of a small, select group known as the Left Handed Brethren, not to be confused in any way with the Right Handed Heathen.

Alright now, if I've unintentionally offended anyone with my bit o humor, hit me with your best shot!

You mean you actually play lefty, on a righty by flipping it upside down???? A mate of mine does that too, you should see the look on people's eyes when he does that.......... I think Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets does it too.
rgds, Harry AKA Sarcastic Bastard

My gear:
'07 Status S2 5
'96 Status Energy 5
'08 Status Smartbass 5
'06 Status/Musicman Stingray 5
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 Amp
Genz Benz Neo X 212T
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago
Yup, I'm left handed but play right handed bass and guitar. I also play a right handed drumkit but I don't play crossed (only drummers could think playing with their arms crossed all the time is "normal").

I think for bass and particularly guitar with a pick, it makes perfect sense to have your most dexterous hand on the fingerboard.
Silent FlySilent Fly
Posted 14 years ago

Fat Rich wrote:
Yup, I'm left handed but play right handed bass and guitar. I also play a right handed drumkit but I don't play crossed (only drummers could think playing with their arms crossed all the time is "normal").

I think for bass and particularly guitar with a pick, it makes perfect sense to have your most dexterous hand on the fingerboard.

Interesting... I am left handed but I play right handed (like Mark King BTW).

As you, when I play drums I play right hand kits but I don't play crossed (the ride is above the high-hat though).
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago
I currently have my ride in the normal right hand position but I'm thinking of having a symetrical setup with a different sounding ride on my left too.

Are we allowed to talk drums here?!! I often end up talking bass on vdrums.com!
JonasOfBorgJonasOfBorg
Posted 14 years ago
Another lefty playing right hand here.
Same reason as hazb74 plus the fact that my classical guitar teacher could not teach me to play left-handed!!!
(silly sod: opposite you, hence just mirror everything). I am still grateful for that however as I have a very fast fret hand.;)
For sale: Red Status S5000
For sale: White Westone Spectrum V5 (now fretless)
Edited by JonasOfBorg on 14-01-2010 01:16, 14 years ago
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
I am a lefty playing right handed as well, yet I still suck!! :D:D:D
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
your all freaks of nature.
Fat RichFat Rich
Posted 14 years ago

Danny wrote:
your all freaks of nature.

Lefties are not freaks of nature, but if you mean drummers..... ;)
jimhuttjimhutt
Posted 14 years ago
Inversely, I'm right handed yet I play a left handed bass. I have an older brother who is left handed. He bought his first 6-string guitar which was, of course, left handed. Being the only guitar in the house I picked it up and started teaching myself how to play bass.

From that acoustic 6-string I went on to a proper 4-string left handed bass. From there to a 5-string, and now a 6 string bass. The six-string is my pride and joy and also happens to be a Status S2.
S2 6-string (Left handed)
Warwick Thumb 5-string (Left handed)
www.metalmusician.co.uk
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
All of you people are strange....I actually use both hands when playing the bass. :D
Angry-CanuckAngry-Canuck
Fusioneer
Posted 14 years ago
Hmmm, I am willing to try that, it might improve my playing, thanks for the tip Michael!!
4 Asians, 2 Brits, 1 French and also some basses
Phantom NINPhantom NIN
Posted 14 years ago
Stragely I am left handed and play right handed (not upside down or anything flash).
But my choice is even odder as my index finger is only half there (lost it in an accident when I was young) which makes some stretches on the fretboard a real pain.

The only justifaction was that the guy in the music shop didn't have any left handers and I was impatient as a teenager.

Drew, owner of:

Status Streamline 4 32"/16.5mm
Status Streamline 5 32"/16.5mm

TC Electronics Rebelhead 450
RS 2x10
RS 1x12
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator