6 String basses

Last updated on 18 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Right then. For a while I have been toying with the idea of having a dabble with a 6 string bass. More for the challenge and to give more playing options than an urgent need for such a bass in my band where my 4 string is more than up to the task.

I should say that I've never had a go on one but I did have a 5 string for a while which I didn't find difficult to play. The neck on a 6 does however look a lot wider and all those strings seem a bit daunting.

Please feel free to give your thoughts and input here. I don't mind if it is to encourage this idea or to tell me I am insane for even contemplating the idea. :)
N
Nick Brown
Posted 18 years ago
My advice would be if you feel it go for it !!

I switched from 4 to 6 some years back and never looked back :)
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I though I might get a 6 string some time, I had a go on Doods Shuker 6 sting, & as nice as the Bass is I felt that a 6 or even a 5 inst for me. Best you try to get a go on one for a good try out.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
N
nivek
Posted 18 years ago
Joffrey told everything you had to know !

I've been playing mainly 6 strings for 1 year and a half and would never come back. My main motive was that I had been playing 5 for years and so... why not 6 ?

The first 6 strings I tried in a shop was a Pedulla Buzz. The string spacing was way too small and so I thought 6 strings were not for me. A few years later I tried other 6 strings with larger strings spacing and found out that NOW, it was completely and easily playable !

I then waited for a great bargain on the used market and I am now the proud owner of a Leduc 6 strings with large strings spacing. 6 strings are in my opinion a real help to prevent moving up and down the neck. You can have a full range of notes without moving the hand. You don't necessarily need to play chords or solo to see a benefit using 6 strings. But when you have one, you can experiment these other roles too.

My own idea is that if you can play 6, why play less ? If you already have some ideas about what you could do with these strings, let's go !
Edited by nivek on 20-04-2006 06:46, 18 years ago
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Thanks for the advice and encouragement so far, looks like I'll be trawling round bass shops in the next few weeks, what a tough job! ;)

Please feel free to keep the input coming as it is very helpful.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.