Status Shark and pickups

Last updated on 18 years ago
M
MrWalker
Posted 18 years ago
I'm very satisfied with the sound of my new Shark. I was wondering, does anybody know which pickup is in there? A humbucker of some type, I presume? It's the chrome pickup version, with a serial number of 4092.

I'm considering adding another pickup in the bridge position to the bass, to make it slightly more versatile. I'm sure Status no longer have chrome covered pickups available, so I presume that option is out.

But what do you think... would adding a piezo bridge provide a more "jazz like" tone, or does the piezo add a different type of sound?

Still in the thinking corner on this, but I really like the bass and know it would be even more "my tone" with a bridge pickup of some type.

Here's a photo of the bass:
home.no.net/mrwalker/basser/status1.jpg
E
energy3542
Posted 18 years ago
Please, don't touch it!
It look so nice...and I'm sure it sounds fantastic.
It was made to be as it is.
B)
MalcMalc
Posted 18 years ago
It could be the same pickup as used in the Eclipse LTD edition (there's a pic of Status5's - very nice). It wouldn't surprise me; the Shark 2 has Hyperactives, for example, and it's bound to be more cost-effective to minimise pickup variations.
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
That's a good looking bass, I wouldn't change anything on it but then that's just me. What type of wood is the body? I have a '63 Fender P that's been stripped to bare wood and it looks just like that, especially with the redish colored tortoise scratch plate.

Rob
MalcMalc
Posted 18 years ago
The Shark 1 is cherry, I believe, whereas Shark 2s are alder. Didn't Fender use alder and poplar mostly?
RobJRobJ
Posted 18 years ago
Alder and ash I thought, but I could well be wrong. I recall reading that most blonde colored instruments were ash and other colored instruments were made of alder.
My bass was probably sunburst originally so the body is more than likely alder. I'm the second owner and bought the bass in 1978 for $200 US. Not a bad deal. ;)
M
MrWalker
Posted 18 years ago
I think the body is cherry and the fingerboard American Walnut. I'm not 100% sure about this, though, but that's what the spec sheet from the catalogue here on statii.com states for this model.

I'm sure it's the same pickup that's used on the Eclipse. Judging by the Status web site, they used only a few different types at each time, so I guess it's a twin coil pickup, and most likely a humbucker. Probably the early one.

I have been playing this bass a lot lately, and I may just keep it as it is. It has a very round and warm sound, and even my wife (who normally gives a s**t about my basses) has complimented the sound of it. So for the time being, I'll probably just keep it as it is.

If Status has another chrome-pickup, it would probably change the case a little... I could live with two chrome-pickups! :D

Thanks for your input, everyone. :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator