Wayne Jones - another fine Status player!

Last updated on 14 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Another fine Status player from "down under" -> http://www.wayne-jones.com and http://myspace.com/waynejonesbass

His solo album "Forgotten Melodies" is very jazzy and funky and available on iTunes (not sure which countries); nice stuff!

"With track two, the title track “Forgotten Melody”, Wayne slips into something more sublime. It’s an after dark jazz cocktail featuring Wayne’s lead melody on his Status six string with the immaculate production values capturing every resonance of his strings."
Edited by andre on 01-08-2007 00:43, 17 years ago
You do not have access to view attachments
WilWil
Junior Member
Posted 17 years ago
Does anyone remember or know of Joe Hubbard?

He wrote some bass tutor books (transcriptions covering stuff like Level 42, Stanley Clarke and the like) in the 80's.

He also has is own band and did thing like 'Nip it in the bud'. He played a verly early series II, which, if you can find his second solo album, has a superb bass solo on it. The status sound is very clean and 'typical' on this.
Wil
2013 J Bitsa Graphite
AI Clarus 2R
PJB 4B x 4
lefty68lefty68
Junior Member
Posted 17 years ago
Wayne is using the Avalon U5 ,this gear is very cool i make you rediscover the real sound of your basses ;)
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

Wil wrote:
Does anyone remember or know of Joe Hubbard?

He wrote some bass tutor books (transcriptions covering stuff like Level 42, Stanley Clarke and the like) in the 80's.


Good question ... I definitely remember the name but have not found much information on him (Google doesn't return much either except the bass tuition books)
Silent FlySilent Fly
Senior Member
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

Lefty68 wrote:
Wayne is using the Avalon U5 ,this gear is very cool i make you rediscover the real sound of your basses ;)


I read enthusiastic reviews and comments about the Avalon U5. Can you tell us your experience with it?

The problem with Avalon gear is that they are so high-end that if you put a unit in your chain you have to upgrade everything else as well :D

(I believe that Wayne Jones actually uses a Avalon 737 pre-amp.)
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Edited by Silent Fly on 07-08-2007 20:40, 17 years ago
andreandre
Admin
Posted 17 years ago
Wayne is also registered on our forum, so maybe we can ask him directly ;)
lefty68lefty68
Junior Member
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

Silent Fly wrote:

Quote

Lefty68 wrote:
Wayne is using the Avalon U5 ,this gear is very cool i make you rediscover the real sound of your basses ;)


I read enthusiastic reviews and comments about the Avalon U5. Can you tell us your experience with it?

The problem with Avalon gear is that they are so high-end that if you put a unit in your chain you have to upgrade everything else as well :D

(I believe that Wayne Jones actually uses a Avalon 737 pre-amp.)


Yes you are right the U5 is expensive,i have paid mine 540 Euros,but it really worth it!!
When i first plugged my diffrents basses on it i didn't believe it!!,the sound was so pure, without a humm,or hisss,and you can use it on stage with your rig
But may tell that it is a little bit cold,i can undestand that because the unit have no tube on it,the way i found to warm my sounds,is chaining it with the Summit audio TLA-50,wicht is a tube leveler and you can belive me that for about 1000 Euros you will have a Biiiggg faaaaat clear sound :D
My activity has turned more to recording in studio than stage,that's why i'm so enthusiastic with those gear,because they allow me to record the real voices of my basses,i don't need my Ashdown rig anymore
Finally the resume with the Avalon U5 you can't go wrong with this gear;)just plug it between your bass and your amp( you have other possibilities)and you won't believe it:o
Cheers
André
Silent FlySilent Fly
Senior Member
Posted 17 years ago
Thanks for the interesting comments Lefty68/Andre. It a shame that we don't live closer. I would be very interested to try it.

I found a web site where it is possible compare the U5 with other pre/DI:
http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/Av...on_U5.html

I would also be interested to compare the U5 with other solutions I have like PODxt, SansAmp or Art Studio V3...
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Edited by Silent Fly on 08-08-2007 05:16, 17 years ago
lefty68lefty68
Junior Member
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

Silent Fly wrote:
Thanks for the interesting comments Lefty68/Andre. It a shame that we don't live closer. I would be very interested to try it.

I found a web site where it is possible compare the U5 with other pre/DI:
http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/Av...on_U5.html

I would also be interested to compare the U5 with other solutions I have like PODxt, SansAmp or Art Studio V3...

We are not living so far ! by train or plane you could be here very fast ,to share some
fresh beers !!;)
About other solutions: First thing is that the U5 is a pure class A preamp/DI,with 6 equalisation preset,you have many possibilities to connect it,it will capture and let you hear the real sound of your bass(and how you are really playing,and the work you still have to do :( )
I have a Pod xt for recording the guitars,the big difference i see is that the Pod emulate sounds,and not really give you the real sound of the instrument that is plugged in,it have stunning effects real close to reality,but they are different gear ,for not really the same function,and definitly not the same result !!
Think about what you need /want, an effect processor,or a preamp/Di box,
Do you want to have te real sound of your bass on stage or for recording? or do you want to add some cool effect to the sound you already have
One thing is clear ,if i was doing some stage again i will certainly use the U5 and the TLA-50 with my Ashdown rigB);)

I would like to apoligize if i have overloaded the thread
Cheers
André
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago
A slap sound not dis-similar to Wolfgang Schmid - Worth checking out, even if he is a Bass-Lab man.
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
Silent FlySilent Fly
Senior Member
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

Lefty68 wrote:(...)
About other solutions: First thing is that the U5 is a pure class A preamp/DI,with 6 equalisation preset,you have many possibilities to connect it,it will capture and let you hear the real sound of your bass (and how you are really playing,and the work you still have to do :( )
I have a Pod xt for recording the guitars,the big difference i see is that the Pod emulate sounds,and not really give you the real sound of the instrument that is plugged in,it have stunning effects real close to reality,but they are different gear ,for not really the same function,and definitly not the same result !!
Think about what you need /want, an effect processor,or a preamp/Di box,
Do you want to have te real sound of your bass on stage or for recording? or do you want to add some cool effect to the sound you already have
(...)


I entirely understand what you say. I sometimes like to play with a trasparent sound and I use just my Art Studio V3. It is not at the same level of the Avalon U5 but I can get nice sounds out of it.

From here I can clearly hear the difference between the U5 and the rest of the crowd :D
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Silent FlySilent Fly
Senior Member
Posted 17 years ago
Lefty68,

A chaper alterantive to Avalon U5 + Summit audio TLA-50 could be the PreSonus Eureka.

Do you have any experience with it?
sfx sound - High Performance Audio
Edited by Silent Fly on 11-08-2007 12:28, 17 years ago
dreamyguitardreamyguitar
Junior Member
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

andre wrote:

Quote

Wil wrote:
Does anyone remember or know of Joe Hubbard?

He wrote some bass tutor books (transcriptions covering stuff like Level 42, Stanley Clarke and the like) in the 80's.


Good question ... I definitely remember the name but have not found much information on him (Google doesn't return much either except the bass tuition books)


I remember Joe...I had some lessons from him in the mid to late 80's when he was teaching at the Bass Centre in Wapping...great bloke, very knowledgeable...tried his best to give me a good grounding in theory...but I was a lazy bugger :-)

Cheers,
Greg
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 17 years ago

Quote

dreamyguitar wrote:

Quote

andre wrote:

Quote

Wil wrote:
Does anyone remember or know of Joe Hubbard?

He wrote some bass tutor books (transcriptions covering stuff like Level 42, Stanley Clarke and the like) in the 80's.


Good question ... I definitely remember the name but have not found much information on him (Google doesn't return much either except the bass tuition books)


I remember Joe...I had some lessons from him in the mid to late 80's when he was teaching at the Bass Centre in Wapping...great bloke, very knowledgeable...tried his best to give me a good grounding in theory...but I was a lazy bugger :-)

Cheers,
Greg


I too remember Joe from The Bass Center back in the day. Nice guy!

I didn't have a lesson from him... no-one has that much patients!!

:D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
DannyDanny
Fusioneer
Posted 15 years ago
I remember Joe from the Wapping Centre too. He used to advertise lessons a few years back in Bassist Magazine. He did crop up at some point in an interview, anyone searched him in Myspace?

Oh, sorry, just saw the previous post is way old but hey!
andreandre
Admin
Posted 14 years ago
Just got a short note from Wayne and a very nice video link ... that his students asked him to film at home for students & bass lovers.

So, what better place than here to show you this delectable version of Run for Cover by Marcus Miller!

Wayne was in Florida & going back there (check out his website here -> http://www.wayne-jones.com/bass-guitar/) & to San Antonio in Sept to do some shows.

[movie=youtube]nSjVmdFXmKk[/movie]
franfran
Senior Member
Posted 14 years ago
brilliant, thanks for posting. exactly my stuff ;)
moo-wood-kingbass artist '07
green S2000 fretless
markbass micromark

Life on earth may be expensive,
but it does include an annual free trip around the sun
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
Anrde, you say in your post that he is coming to San Antonio in September. I didn't see anything about that on his website. Is that something he sent you a message about? I live in San Antonio, and if he is coming here, I'd definitely like to try and check him out
andreandre
Admin
Posted 14 years ago
Yep he mentioned this to me in an email exchange we had today. You could definitely PM him on this forum or email him (his email is in the Contact Me section of his website) I am sure he will be happy to let you know all the details!

Let us know if you do see him perform!
youngjr1youngjr1
Veteran Member
Posted 14 years ago
Thanks man, I'll drop him a line.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator