Cleaning?

Last updated on 18 years ago
Status5Status5
Posted 18 years ago
Okay all you wise people, whats the best thing to use when cleaning our Statii's?
You can get cleaning kits but they always seem to have various 'oils' for the neck wood which is okay if your neck's made of wood :o but what if is phenolic?
Answers on a postcard to-----
(No prize is given for the correct answer !) :(
andreandre
Admin
Posted 18 years ago
Hi Status5, for phenolic fingerboards, Rob Green suggests:

"The dry look on the fingerboard is where the laminated phenolic material is actually 'drying' out a little. It is often caused by being cleaned with a water or solvent based polish which can take the natural 'oils' out of the board. You can fix this very easily by cleaning the fingerboard with a very small amount of oil. Something as simple as WD40 is fine. Use a soft cotton cloth and wipe a VERY small amount of oil on the fingerboard and rub it in.... then clean it all off again leaving just a trace which has 'soaked' into the surface. This will bring back the dark colour of the board. 'Non waxy' types of furniture polish are fine for the gloss lacquer on the body or the lacquer on the BACK of the neck but not for the fingerboard."

That's a start :-)
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Lemon oil would probably work OK on the fingerboard as well.
Status5Status5
Posted 18 years ago
Thanx guys!
The funny thing is, I would have avoided wd40 like the plague but if the 'man' sez its okay then it must be :p
I usually use a vinegar based cleaner for the frets so I guess thats not helping too much :(
I suppose lemon oil makes it smell nice toooooooo B)
Cheers
M
Col BCol B
Posted 18 years ago
Hi there
I have always used Lemon as it strips any grotty hand grease away. Great tip with WD40 on the fingerboard and some times on the body lightly with T Cut to remove small scratches
Cheeeers
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I bought the early Series II which was a bit of a mess (plays like an absolute dream though, thanks Kev)...

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/MatthewAshenden/SeriesIIBefore.jpg

I stripped it down taking off all the brass and spent a few hours with some brasso etc. and now it looks a million times better...

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f284/MatthewAshenden/SeriesIIAfter.jpg

took me back to my days in training with the Royal Marines... :(

nice tip on the neck!

I need to address the lacquer on the body next... "Hello Rob"!!!

:D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I use wd40 on the phenolic fingerboards as suggested (even disguises the scratch marks from using round-wound hotwires on a fretless!) and Mr Sheen original on the bodies:D

(maybe its just be ) but I find cheap lipstick and cotton wool works wonders on the bridge.
Paul_CPaul_C
Posted 18 years ago

Steve wrote:
I use wd40 on the phenolic fingerboards as suggested (even disguises the scratch marks from using round-wound hotwires on a fretless!) and Mr Sheen original on the bodies:D

(maybe its just be ) but I find cheap lipstick and cotton wool works wonders on the bridge.

you do what with cheap lipstick and cotton wool ?

and which bridge is this ?

somewhere local to you ?

;)

P.
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Lmao - The bridge of my S2000 :P

Cover it in lipstick, leave for a few minutes and rub off with cotton wool - So much better than brasso or other polishes. Im sure there is some sort of law about putting lipstick on bridges, want&destruction of public property?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator