Breaking Strings

Last updated on 18 years ago
Pete ManziniPete Manzini
Posted 18 years ago
Hi y'all
Got a brand new S2 headless 5 string (about 6 months old) and I keep breaking the E string on it. Never encountered this problem on a bass before.
It breaks in the same place on the bridge about every 4th gig, and it doesn't matter what string type (make or gauge) I use. Is this a 'ring Rob and get him to sort it out by shipping the bass back to him' job, or a 'do it yourself, you lazy git' job. What are the warranty issues if I go at the bridge with a metal file?

Also, has anyone else had tuning problems with one of these? The tuning of the low B, under gig conditions is suspect, and I'm having to re-tune the bass between every song, which is a major pain in the ass as I'm the lead vocalist too. I played an S1 before and didn't have any of these problems.

Anyone got any thoughts?

In light of the above, I'm also thinking about (for the first time ever) having to get a back-up bass. I went headless with the S2 cos of the space limitations in the venues we play around the West Midlands, and because it balances well. Anyone got any experience with cheap short scale 5 string basses of any manufacture?

Thanks for reading. Now I'm off to buy yet another set of double ball end strings having broken one in the middle of the third song in the second set last night. Grrr.........

Pete

pete@fabmanbro.co.uk
G-77G-77
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
you could try swapping the saddles about to see if the problem moves with the saddle or stays with the same string.
It there a tuning issue with the string that breaks? as that could be related.
KingBass Prototype 4, MooWood KingBass, Streamline
moomoo
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
i use to have this problem with my very old Series 2000 on the G string. it was down to the edge of the bridge where the string sits being too sharp and cutting through the string after a bit.

Speak to Rob and i'm sure he will have an easy solution that might not involve shipping it back or 'screwing it up'!!!

:D :D
Strata #05 - Status Series II #94 - Status Series II #147 - Status Series II #230 - Status Series II #487 - Status Series II 5 string #58 - Status Series 2000 #106 - Status Series 2000 #327 (FPPR) - Status Empathy #2009 ’93 - Status Empathy 5 string '95 - Status King Bass '06 moo wood - Status King Bass '07 moo wood fretless - Alembic MK Sig Deluxe '88 - Alembic Inside Out Brown Bass ’11 - JayDee Series I 'Starchild' '08 - JayDee Series I Cherry Red ’19 - Sei Bass Flamboyant - Sei Bass Flamboyant Offset - Ibanez SR2600 ’18 - Ibanez SRMS 805 ’19 - Ibanez SR1405 ’19 - Vigier Passion Series I #623 '88 - Vigier Arpege Series II #249 '84 - Vigier Arpege Series III #088 '86 - Shuker Custom Series 2 ‘08 - Warwick Thumb 4 TN '89
statusstatus
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
I used to have a problem snapping G-strings then I learned how to slide them off instead. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist that one! :(
SteveSteve
Fusioneer
Posted 18 years ago
Naughty. :O
Status S2 5 String Fretless 'Moo-wood'
Status S1000 rebuild
Fender Strat - Fretted
Shadow Superstrat Guitar - Fretless
Ibanez RG Electric of some sort
Avalon As-101CE Electro-Acoustic Guitar

I've owned 5 Statii so far, with 2 at present....
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.